Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tripple 8 tough forks?

756 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
I had a Dorado Last year and sold it (great fork) Nothing broke on it besides my XC Lbs Butchering it trying to change the oil but that's another story. I herd stories of TRipple 8's leacking oil at the seal, ARches breaking and legs cracking with oil spewing out of them. I have not herd anything as bad about the Dorado Dh. I'm willing to give the Dorado another chance this year but I wana give the tripple 8 a chance for change. But I don't wana end up being left out 2 weeks with a broken Fork from DH'in. But price is a selling point... So Its pretty much you pay for what you get. Maybe its my lack in Confidence in trying somthing new not knowing how good it is.

#2 ·
Manitou needs constand service to perform at it's best. Seems like 888 is like all other Marzocchi rarely needing major service other than basic oil changes. As any other product that just came out, everything will have bigger or smaller issues. I hear totally opposing opinions on this fork. I'm staying with good old Monster even though it's 4 years old by now.

#3 ·
Lucky13 said:
Manitou needs constand service to perform at it's best. Seems like 888 is like all other Marzocchi rarely needing major service other than basic oil changes. As any other product that just came out, everything will have bigger or smaller issues. I hear totally opposing opinions on this fork. I'm staying with good old Monster even though it's 4 years old by now.
and if you've seen nwd 5, everyone is going big in that movie and they're all using a 888 or 66...

they seem pretty solid to me...

#4 ·
Lemme start off with one big thing. The 888 and Dorado are VERY different forks. The only thing they have in common is travel, and that's not even the same, it's 20 mm different. The 888 was designed to be a hard-core freeride fork. It's got enough adjustment to make it a soft, more race-abled fork, but you don't see any world-cup racers on one. The Dorado, on the other hand, is a race-bred fork. The pros you see on them doing freeriding (Bearclaw, those guys, etc.) have their springs, adjustments, etc, all custom made. That's definitely not what that fork is for.

But, if you're looking at the 888 for sure, it's really nice. Definitely go with the 888r. I had a 888rt, and that has no external adjustments, and that was really nice, but then I got the r and I was in heaven. It's so nice, cause you can change from fairly stiff to super plush. Like I said, I've owned 2, and since it's only been out a year, I don't know all the long-term durability, blah blah blah, but it was nice enough to go for a second helping.

#5 ·
The 888 is marzocchi's race fork. It has fairly thin lowers (so thin that some had some problems with oil seeping through), it has low-volume dampers, and overall it is a pretty lightweight fork. It is lighter than a dorado. Dorado weighs 7.75lbs w/o crown, and the 888r weighs 7.4lbs w/o crown. Racers and sponsored riders will go ride and huck whatever the company gives them (whether it's a boxxer, 888, dorado, or whatever).

The 888 will stand up to some serious riding, but it's the lightest DH fork that marzocchi has made in a while, and there are world cup racers on them now. It doesn't really matter, there was a guy that dropped a 40+ foot cliff on a 5" stinky. Does that mean the stinky is the best bike for the biggest drops? No, of course not.

888s are solid forks, there's been a few issues but nothing major that would keep me from using one (if I had the cash lying around).

#7 ·
Max_winner1 said:
I had a Dorado Last year and sold it (great fork) Nothing broke on it besides my XC Lbs Butchering it trying to change the oil but that's another story. I herd stories of TRipple 8's leacking oil at the seal, ARches breaking and legs cracking with oil spewing out of them. I have not herd anything as bad about the Dorado Dh. I'm willing to give the Dorado another chance this year but I wana give the tripple 8 a chance for change. But I don't wana end up being left out 2 weeks with a broken Fork from DH'in. But price is a selling point... So Its pretty much you pay for what you get. Maybe its my lack in Confidence in trying somthing new not knowing how good it is.
Max are you serious??? 888 are way more dependable then the Dorados

#8 ·
i'm selling my brand new '05 888RC to get a Boxxer. if anybody wants to but it , pm me.

don't freak, my team is sponsored by Sram (which includes rockshox) so i'm going to ride their WC. its going to be a better serious race fork (shorter, lighter, cheaper for me at least)

if it's for serious racing and not much else though, i would go with the dorado.

G
#11 ·
bikescars101 said:
It's got enough adjustment to make it a soft, more race-abled fork, but you don't see any world-cup racers on one. The Dorado, on the other hand, is a race-bred fork. The pros you see on them doing freeriding (Bearclaw, those guys, etc.) have their springs, adjustments, etc, all custom made.
Isn't Gracia going to use the 888 this season? Isn't he one of the best racers out there???

The 888 is a very raceable fork....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.