Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

maxxis minion DHF EXO question

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  B-Mac 
#1 ·
I am looking at maxxis minions on pricepoint and the price seems pretty good. They have the folding EXO version in 26x2.5, but only DHF. So I was thinking about going with the EXO DHF 60A for the rear and EXO DHF 3C for the front. This is for an SX Trail for my "heavy" rims for bike parks and shuttle runs (rhynolite rims, replacing 2.5 nevegals). I am only looking at pricepoint right now because I think I am going to have a credit with them that I'd like to spend on tires.

Any thoughts if this is a good move or not? I think it would loose some weight and perform a little better. I don't think I need heavy-duty/dual-ply/wire bead for the trails and style I normally ride.

If it isn't a smart move, I'll use my credit for something else and hold off on the tires for now.

Thanks

#2 ·
It's a good move for trail riding.
DHF run front and rear is a popular combo for that tire.
For trail, Ill run 60A front and back. When the rear tire wears I just swap front to rear and put a new tire on the front.
I don't get good wear and tire life out of the 3C compound as a rear tire. It's good as a front, but not a huge performance gain over 60A for me as a trail tire.
Those used to be my favorite trail tires till I switched to Conti Trail Kings.

#6 ·
Have not seen 42a for sale.

When I look at maxxis website I am honestly dizzy between maxgrip, maxterra, supertacky, 3c, etc, etc.... and some are only available in wire bead, others UST, others foldable...

What I find a little confusing is which DHF in 2.5 folding bead has the best grip vs which is longest-lasting. And what is in-between.

These tires won't see a lot of miles so grip is a bigger factor than durability (and price is certainly a factor as well, to some degree).

My last set of nevegals were harder compound in the rear and dual compound (or whatever kenda called it) in the front and I've been pretty happy with fairly even wear front and rear.

#11 ·
Uncle Six Pack, I made the exact same move you are contemplating at the beginning of the season. EXO 2.5 DHF in the same compound configuration. My EXO's were replacing a dual ply DHF setup. Saved me 908 grams (2 pounds) overall, and I didn't experience one flat or rim ding the entire season bashing every rock garden at Snowshoe.

#12 ·
After getting a number of flats on the Whole Enchilada, I dropped my Bontrager tires for a Minion/Ardent setup. Minion 2.5 DHF EXO 60a on the front. Awesome tire. I ran that setup for Sunday's stages during the BME. Can't say enough good things about it. It took a hell of a beating with no issues, ran it tubeless at 29psi.

#13 ·
Well, on rough terrain i am usually picking my way through a little slower. The SX Trail is no plow bike and I am not taking rock gardens at race speed. It has been nice having a "bullet-proof" tire on the rear for assurance, but I do feel like it is a boat anchor at times. I'm an intermediate rider and tend to let loose and go faster on the smoother runs-groomed and/or flowy trails.

I'm still on the fence about this purchase... my nevegals honestly have a decent amount of life yet. But I do appreciate everyone's experiences and opinions.

#14 ·
another vote in favor of the 2.5 EXO DHFs in 60a. I run them front and rear, and they are incredibly good. They absolutely rip, and they give a nice bit of warning before they start to break loose. But on that note, they rarely break loose, even when going really fast. Best tires I've ever used.

#15 ·
The DHF's are great tires, I think they'll work out great for you. I run a 3c DHRII in the front. The softer compounds have spectacular grip but they don't last very long (duh.). Personally, I like to have a harder compound tire in the rear to allow the rear to break prior to the front, so I think you're making the right call with a 60 compound tire in the rear.

As another poster above mentioned - if this is for a gravity bike, you'll get pinch flats with EXO tires. Recommend you look at a DH casing if you're putting them on a gravity bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.