Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What downhill bikes are you 6'5" people riding?

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  sergio8691 
#1 ·
A friend of mine is on a large Bottlerocket, and it's too compact for him (effective top tube is 25"). Even when I've looked for XL bikes, they have effective top tubes even shorter than the Bottlerocket. He's having a ***** of a time trying to find a good used downhill sled for under 3k. What are you tall people riding?

#2 ·
Most readily available XL frame that comes to mind is the Santa Cruz V10, effective top tub is only 25.2", so not a whole lot bigger. One Thing I've noticed is that a lot of tall, especially lanky people, love high rise bars.

I myself am 6'2" and ride a large Canfield Brother Jedi, which is also made in an XL, just going to be way harder to find used than a V10.

In the biking world, being over 6' is a pain in the ass. I get away with a large on the DH bike, but for a trail bike I need an XL. That right there eliminates so many frames.

#5 ·
Just to throw this out. A size L Specialized Demo has a longer reach (only 1 mm) than an XL Santa Cruz V10.

Top tube length is a decieving measurement as it is measured from the HT to the ST. You want to look at reach, the horizontal distance from the BB to the top of the HT. The V10's Seat tube is further rearwards relative to the BB than the demo, but who cares, you don't sit on the seat when you ride DH.

Basically, compare the reach measurement of the bikes you like and find the longest one. Don't believe what companies call S,M,L,XL as it doesn't correlate across manufactureres.

#8 ·
My favorite topic recently :) I am 6'5'' and ride Specialized Demo. It's too short. Reach is 447 (one of the longest out there) - and I would like it at least 25mm longer - like my XL Enduro. The longest production bike by far is new 2014 GT Fury. I feel dangerous urge to get XL Nicolai Ion 20...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.