Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Push DHX5 or Rockshox R2C

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Gman086 
#1 ·
Hoping for some suggestions here. I am a 40 year old guy, 220 pounds on a Norco Shore 1. I am using the bike mostly at Northstar, riding with my 9 year old. I am a solid intermediate rider, no big jumps, no huge speed (if I raced the livewire classic, i would finish about second to last in beginner).

So the fox DHX 5 is due for a rebuild. I have been looking at Push's MX tune, but for the same price can get a nearly new Rockshox RC2 coil. Any thoughts which way to go?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

#3 ·
Yes, it is a coil. I thought about air, but since I have a coil up front and my weight, I figure I should stay with a coil in the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so please forgive the typos that occur when typing with two fingers.

#6 ·
Looks like I will have it rebuilt.

#7 ·
If you are such an intermediate rider, I don't know if you would be able to tell the difference with such an expensive upgrade. The slower you go, the less this stuff matters. Of course, you can buy whatever you want, but maybe the money would be better spent on a skills clinic or some lessons.

I know I would never ride dh if I couldn't go fast and do jumps. You can do it too!

Getting a basic service on the shock would be a good idea but spending $500 might not be the best use of money.

Good luck.

mk

#8 ·
I agree, but the difference between a rebuild and an upgrade while rebuilding is less than $150, and that is if I went the full Push MX upgrade. For the Avalanche itis about $50.

#9 ·
Obviously both our Factory Tuning System($205) and our Factory MX-Tune($289) give you a complete overhaul of your shock from top to bottom. If it's a bike that you really like and are going to keep I say go MX-Tune because it is a major upgrade.:thumbsup: If you're thinking about getting something new, then maybe the Factory Rebuild, or Factory Tuning System may be better.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

Darren

#12 ·
I am going to go the Push route. I am sure Avalanche does good work, but have used Push in the past for two shocks on trail bikes and both were perfect. I may go to Avalanche to upgrade my Totem to their cartrige.

#13 ·
Then you'd better buck-up and get the MX tune. I was disappointed with my DHX PUSH factory tune (could never get spiking all the way out) and Darren said that was something that the MX tune took care of.

Have FUN!

G MAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.