Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lighten my bike!?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Skorp 
#1 ·
Hi!

I just aquired a NukeProof Scalp 2011, after riding All-Mountain hardtails the last years which weigh around 12kgs my dh feels like a train.

The spec is as follows:

Scalp 2011 frame with Rockshox Kage shock
Fox 40 RC2
Nukeproof hubs, Competition spokes, Mavic EN721 rims
Avid Elixir R brakes, 200mm/185mm
Saint/Xtr gearsystem
Saint crankset
Straightline stem
Crankbrothers Cobalt handlebar
Selle Italia flight seat
Nukeproof seatpost
Continental Der Kaiser tyres

In my ears, this sounds like a light build?
But yet it weighs in at over 19kgs..
Do you think this weight is accaptable?
New seat, seatpost, pedals and a ti spring for the shock will help?

See less See more
#2 ·
What is your budget?
If you have a large expense account, you could save a lot of weight with a new wheelset. Next would be an air fork, ti spring (no performance improvements except lift line), handle bar, race face seat post and saddle (apparently really light), carbon handlebar and switching your brakes to another model with a performance improvement and a lighter weight.
Good luck and happy shopping.

Eric

#3 ·
I won't change the frame or fork, or all off the bikes parts at once. I just want to find the parts that i can save the most on, and change them!

I just changed the handlebar. The old one was 330g, the CB is 280g.
Some temporary pedals put on, straigthline was something like 600g, the new were 320g.
Going to get some lighter aswell, as these pedals are borrowed from another bike.

I need a new spring anyways, the one thats on now is too soft. So if i can find a Ti spring that fit my RochShox Kage shock, i need 450lbs..

Which wheelset would save weight?
I'm thinking to get some light hubs, like hope?
DTswiss Revolution spokes and DTSwiss EX500 rims. Would this be a good alternative?

Will post a picture soon :)

#5 ·
I wouldn't waste good $$ on a ti spring. The shock weight is low and centered and won't make much difference. Saving weight on your wheels (rotational) is the best bang for the buck. There are some nice beefy carbon rims out there that won't break the bank, paired with tubeless tires, that would be where I would start. The Saint stuff is real nice but also very heavy. All it takes is $$$$$!!

#6 ·
The TI spring is supposed to give better performance aswell on the Scalps.. Atleast thats the last owners word.
I wont dare carbon wheels on the trails i ride atm. Alot of sharp rocks if i miss my line.
I might try the LB Wide rims on my AM hardtail if i have nothing else to use my money on!

The Saint crank makes the bike look really worn, and as you said its heavy.. I might change it..

Answer: The tubes make it over 19kgs, Maxxis tubes weighing in at 475g per wheel. Conti tubes @ 170g is in now. :)
Will still find a TI spring,pedals, wheels seat and seattube. :)

#8 ·
It is a direct mount stem! I will take it off, weigh it and change if heavy.
I can also chop the steerer around 5cm..

The bars are fairly light at 280g? I like the stiffness and geo of it. The carbon handlebars that is light enough to bother a change, flexes alot more.

#9 ·
Old Seatpost + Old Saddle + Old seatclamp = 650g
New Seatpost + New Saddle + New seatclamp = 350g

Lets just see if its strong enough, the seat might be too pointy ruining my ties..

Bike is 18,3kgs now.

Saved so far:
300g on saddle setup
50g on handlebar
250g on pedals
400g on tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.