Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rampage Thread!

2K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  tim_from_PA 
#1 ·
Discuss

#10 ·
Did you guys get the impression that the event was on a delay and they edited out a crash? I can't recall who they kept referring to, but there was a crash that they referred to that I didn't see.
Sorry to be vague, but I think they cut away to a different rider on a backboard while they were picking up the KHS rider after his step down backflip.

#11 ·
paste and copy of my thoughts from TGR:

Being there in person... Zink's flip was amazing; BUT, He kept his tires on the ground the rest of the time. He had only one air above the icon sender and didn't whip or anything. He rolled the lip and off down the side of the canyon after. Gnarly flip no doubt; but, definitely should have scored much lower.

Judging criteria:
1) Fluidity and Style
2) Air and Amplitude
3) Tricks
4) Line Choice

1) Cam had almost no style because he threw no tricks before or after the flip on an otherwise weak line.
2) Cam had 0 air and amplitude other than the flip.
3) Cam did not do any other trick besides the flip.
4) Already covered in 1)... Cam road LITERALLY the weakest line in the entire contest. Other riders had already spun, flipped, tail whipped and dropped large cliffs and rowdy steeps before getting to the same location (icon sender) and then threw down major airs through and on top of the gully.

Rampage is not a best trick event. Cam's flip was definitely in the running. Perhaps only McGary's flip over the canyon gap was equal.

Cam could have collected best trick from the event; but, others who risked runs by airing multiple times before and after the icon area had more of 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the judging criteria than Cam by far. Andrew L. threw down an amazingly rowdy and technical line that had flips, drops, everything including a one handed superman! And the whole thing was super fluid, fast and linked. Andrew got hosed for sure.

T-Mac's line was super raw and high consequence with many huge airs and drops including a back flip across a rocky top to blind landing (and it was huge) that looked scarier than mount moridor from Lord of the Rings immediately followed by one of the bigger drops on the course.

Cam is sick; but, his and kyle's judging rewarded weaker "one trick wonder" lines while others took big risks all the way down the course. Seeing what happened, maybe Semanuk will just screw all the super tricky impossible lines he's working on and just throw something spinny/flippy over the icon for the win next year... I hope not.

In summery, Cam's flip was unreal; but, overall his run was much less exciting than everyone else's. I talked face to face with Darren Berrecloth mid-comp and lets just say he gave mad props to the trick; but, would have scored the run differently. His opinion holds a lot of water.

edit to add: McGarry for the real win. a no hander suicide off the icon vs a flip over the (70+?) canyon gap that most people avoid in the past comps... Kyle is also an unreal rider and I can't imagine pulling a nohander off the icon; but, weak above the icon and only one air after that someone else flipped. McGary's line had three flips... one of them possibly equaling or besting Zink's flip.

#14 ·
paste and copy of my thoughts from TGR:

Being there in person... Zink's flip was amazing; BUT, He kept his tires on the ground the rest of the time. He had only one air above the icon sender and didn't whip or anything. He rolled the lip and off down the side of the canyon after. Gnarly flip no doubt; but, definitely should have scored much lower.

Judging criteria:
1) Fluidity and Style
2) Air and Amplitude
3) Tricks
4) Line Choice

1) Cam had almost no style because he threw no tricks before or after the flip on an otherwise weak line.
2) Cam had 0 air and amplitude other than the flip.
3) Cam did not do any other trick besides the flip.
4) Already covered in 1)... Cam road LITERALLY the weakest line in the entire contest. Other riders had already spun, flipped, tail whipped and dropped large cliffs and rowdy steeps before getting to the same location (icon sender) and then threw down major airs through and on top of the gully.

Rampage is not a best trick event. Cam's flip was definitely in the running. Perhaps only McGary's flip over the canyon gap was equal.

Cam could have collected best trick from the event; but, others who risked runs by airing multiple times before and after the icon area had more of 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the judging criteria than Cam by far. Andrew L. threw down an amazingly rowdy and technical line that had flips, drops, everything including a one handed superman! And the whole thing was super fluid, fast and linked. Andrew got hosed for sure.

T-Mac's line was super raw and high consequence with many huge airs and drops including a back flip across a rocky top to blind landing (and it was huge) that looked scarier than mount moridor from Lord of the Rings immediately followed by one of the bigger drops on the course.

Cam is sick; but, his and kyle's judging rewarded weaker "one trick wonder" lines while others took big risks all the way down the course. Seeing what happened, maybe Semanuk will just screw all the super tricky impossible lines he's working on and just throw something spinny/flippy over the icon for the win next year... I hope not.

In summery, Cam's flip was unreal; but, overall his run was much less exciting than everyone else's. I talked face to face with Darren Berrecloth mid-comp and lets just say he gave mad props to the trick; but, would have scored the run differently. His opinion holds a lot of water.

edit to add: McGarry for the real win. a no hander suicide off the icon vs a flip over the (70+?) canyon gap that most people avoid in the past comps... Kyle is also an unreal rider and I can't imagine pulling a nohander off the icon; but, weak above the icon and only one air after that someone else flipped. McGary's line had three flips... one of them possibly equaling or besting Zink's flip.
IIRC Lacondeguy and T-Mac's second runs did score higher than Zink...he was in 5th place. But since he didn't get a second run (as with many others) 2nd runs were thrown out. You have to assume that Zink's first run was just with the goal of flipping the sender cuz he definitely took it EASY everywhere else. I was dying to see his 2nd run to see him turn it up like Lacondeguy and T-Mac did in round 2.

#15 ·
^^^ For sure. And I'm not dissing Zink or downplaying the pure awesomeness of that flip.

None the less, his first run scored higher than many who laid it all out all the way down the mountain on first runs. Just seems the judges forgot about all 4 criteria when judging his run as a whole.

That's subjective real time scoring though. Many boxers have felt they deserved a win when they received a loss after going the rounds.

#20 ·
Podium should be top 5!! I won't argue that Cam got judged high, but at that moment it was pretty frickin unbelievable what he did, still is.. McGarry's flip too..

It is hard to see TMac's run, still haven't seen a good pic of the drop, but it was great and Lacondeguy's run was amazing, but maybe lacked the creativity a little bit?? Not sure, but seemed liked Gee's run from years past (that being said, I love that dude and wish he got on the podium, his second run was just amazingly fluid)

Clearly, the top 5 were the top 5 and proved they all are within striking distance of a win every time, all true big mountain riders. I really wish we could have had a full second run to see how it would have worked out. I think they should hold finals on Saturday and use Sunday as an alternative day to finish up if needed.

#24 ·
When you take into account the scoring criteria, the end results almost make sense to me.. maybe Lacondeguy 3rd for me.. but after watching some replays and understanding the criteria a bit more, I think the judges did well. Take away the big flips from Zink and McGarry and their runs are so-so.. McGarry's top section was pretty lame. Zink hit Straights line, but not as well. Straights manhandles the whole course but just didn't go upsidedown. Lacondeguy and McCaul really had great runs and McCauls line was the most unique if you ask me. Lacondeguy really just ran Gee's line so I think his lack of creativity killed him, but man was his run smooth and fast..

Such a tough contest to judge..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.