Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear suspension block off? possible?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  that_nicker 
#1 ·
I don't want to sound like a total dumb ass, but is it possible to make a rod or a plate of some sort to take the place of the rear shock to make it hard tail? In my head it sounds brilliant, but I am totally unsure. The reason I ask is because all of my friends have dirt jumpers/cross country bike and I have a downhill bike with 8" of travel front and back and riding the trails they ride sucks ass because I have to hike every damn incline!! Come on people, give me your input!

~Nick

#4 ·
a shock with a pro-pedal or similar setting wouldn't hurt, but even without pedal bob your dh bike isnt going to climb well. the weight and geometry are seriously limiting factors. I trail road a Santa Cruz bullit for 2 years before getting a real trail bike and keeping the bullit for a park bike, and i can tell you that there are a lot more limiting factors than just suspension bob.
My advice would be to sell the DH bike and go for an AM rig, that way you get the best of both worlds.

#5 ·
Yeah those are all factors I didn't think of haha! It just came up in my mind the one day when i was killing myself trying to keep up with my friends on some trails haha! I've considered selling it but I can't!! Its too damn fun! I may have to just get a cheap CC. My bike now is a Giant Faith 3!

#7 ·
I put a CCDB CS on my short-shocked old school vp-free, can lower my 2 position fork (64-65° is impossible to steer up), and I can climb faster than my buds on their all mountain rigs. It is way more fun coming down on a bigger bike, just a bigger beating on the way up.

#8 ·
I'm going to be completely honest with you... I have no clue what any of that **** you just said means hahahahaah! I ordered a 550 spring to replace my 450 to see if that'll help at all. Plus I had about an inch and a half too much sag in the rear with the 450 and didn't want to adjust the spring any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#14 ·
Is swapping a coil spring really that bad of an idea? It won't change the geometry of anything since the spring is the same size. Sure it may be a little stiff.. That the whole reason I'm asking about springs. The rear delete was a idea I thought of and moved past within an hour of thinking of it haha. So I'm not exactly sure what your getting all butthurt over? But hey, I'd be glad to fill in a spot on your "block list" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#17 ·
Yes, it is a bad idea. And a complete waste of $35. I'd advise you to return the spring as soon as you get it, or; if possible, cancel your order before it proceeds.

Your best bet is to save your money and purchase a cheap hardtail if you want to keep up with your friends. There is no possible way your bike will ever keep up on normal, up and down singletrack, or anywhere that isn't downhill with your friends who are on downhill bikes. NO WAY. Enough said.

Check craigslist. In my area, cheap hardtails eventually come up for $300 or so that aren't complete crap.A lot of crap for that price, but eventually you'll find something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.