Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Maybe I don't have to get edge 800/810 afterall

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  kenbentit 
#1 ·
After months of frustration with garmin edge 500 :madman: and it's inability to render maps, constant freezing and me trying every trick on the planet like keeping the memory perfectly clear.. I give up.

I need to find a reliable nav unit to enjoy all those gpx tracks created by very own Epic Riders.

I started to research etrex and garmin edge 800/810 when I stumbled on this
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html

it's priced same as the 500 :madmax: and it's a true navigation device for MTBers (and cyclists) without all that roadie crap - ANT, cadence, etc.

Preordered Garmin Edge Touring here with a 10% off coupon DCR10ZTG

Look it actually has a Mountain Biking Mapping Option !!!!
Finger Display device Electronic device Communication Device Mobile phone

See less See more
#2 ·
After months of frustration with garmin edge 500 :madman: and it's inability to render maps, constant freezing and me trying every trick on the planet like keeping the memory perfectly clear.. I give up.

I need to find a reliable nav unit to enjoy all those gpx tracks created by very own Epic Riders.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html

it's priced same as the 500 :madmax: and it's a true navigation device for MTBers (and cyclists) without all that roadie crap - ANT, cadence, etc.

View attachment 836989
Agree. However, like you mentioned, it lacks the ability to work with ANT+ devices, such as a power meter or HRM. Plus, it doesn't have the workout features to program intervals, etc. Important features for a geek like me, but for the price, it looks promising! Let us know how you like it.

#3 ·

View attachment 836989
Yeah, that does look promising - until you look closer.

If you are doing big rides - this will be a problem:
Batteryrechargeable lithium-ion
Battery lifeup to 17 hours

On something like the AZT300 it is not unusual to do more than that in one day - never mind the remaining days. Do you really want to carry a separate device just to charge your GPS?

Also, I believe the touch screen devices tend to suck down battery power faster. My wife's Dakota 20 runs out of juice way before my Etrex 30 - using the same batteries. True, the Etrex is supposed to be for hiking, but it works really well for endurance riding.

#4 ·
Seems like the folks at Garmin play these games where they mix and match features to then make a new unit. Us cycling geeks generally have a couple features we need...
1. Record a track
2. Follow a track
If you're trying to put some structure to your training, then having HR and maybe Power (if you can afford a PM), is a necessity. Additionally the ability to program in workouts is nice too for intervals and stuff.
The next dimension of features seems to be better navigation and battery life; both important to the BPing folks. Having basemaps and replaceable batteries are two must haves although carrying a separate battery pack (like an energizer or duracell pack) is a decent workaround. Currently, the Etrex30 seems to fit all those needs pretty well. I can load a 10k pt track in it and update speed is fast.
Someday, it would be cool if they could auto-route off road stuff so if you were in the middle of a ride, and wanted a quick-out back to civilization, you could do that. Last weekend coming back from the GC, we reverted to old-skool...a printed map.
Lastly, I think it'd be neat if garmin could include audible turn-by-turn instructions. Even if it would audibly tell you upcoming waypoints, (which you'd label ahead of time) that'd be neat.
Anyway, the touring unit seems neat and hopefully it will deliver the goods.

#5 ·
Hmm, I just started looking into GPS units myself and the Edge 510 (not 500) is one I was interested in. May have to look into this one a bit as well. The 510 is supposed to be able to load maps from the GTC, is that the same way your 500 works?

#10 ·
Yes, but you can forget pulling GPX's off strava. It works the best with built routes not following GPXs. It's a tool for roadies to build courses on streets - terrible for MTB navigation off road.

I recently started using Strava route builder - which works pretty darn good for off road trails - they have tons of uploaded data so they have huge routing database. THe Garmin 500 really liked their TCX's - no issues what-so-ever.
When it came to AES races - any provided route GPX (converted to TCX) worked horribly. I tried all the tricks of clearing the memory etc. It was just not designed for that. It's a tool for roadies.
I don't mind following breadcrumb trails without base maps, but when it's just sitting there frozen trying to render.... it's useless to me and super aggravating.

Thankfully, I have an app for my android "my tracks" which works beautifully to render multiple gpx tracks superimposed on open cycle map (or any other map).

#8 ·
Sure that works for the GPS's which use AA, but that won't do you much good with a GPS like shown in the first post with a Li-Ion battery. But a small charger that uses AA batteries is nearly as easy to bring as just spare AA's was my point. Just because you use a Li-Ion powered GPS doesn't mean you're limited to its battery life, very easy to recharge it with a small power cell.

#11 ·
I haven't really looked into the STRAVA options much, being able to follow a route that's a bit tricky is the main reason Im even looking at a GPS. This may require more research than I thought (also not too interested in putting an expensive unit like an 800 on my bike...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.