Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dropper post on DH bike?

22K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Lelandjt 
#1 ·
have been using a dropper post on my XC trail bike and just picked up a new DH bike and was wondering if many people use a dropper seatpost on a DH bike or is it even a consideration?

#2 ·
Its your bike you can do what you want, I've got a reverb on my Norco Aurum as I don't have a local DH park with uplift so I need to get back to the top of the hills under either foot or pedal power. I suppose that means I'm riding freeride rather than pure "DH" as the local trails are mostly natural, though they either go up or down not XC. if seriously considering pedalling (assuming you want a dropper for ideal seat height for pedalling) then some weight off wheels tyres and a wide range rear cassette also work wonders.

#7 ·
During the off season I use a Specialized Command Post on my DH bike because its head allows it to be mounted forward, negating the super slack seat angle so it provides a reasonable pedaling position when up. Did a 30mi ride on it a couple days ago.

#12 ·
Most of my riding isn't lift-served, so I use one.

My DH bike climbs well enough that I hardly ever ride my AM bike anymore.
know that good feeling.

now my XC trail HT bike, with Marz. Z1 5" ETA travel reducer fork, will always have room in the stable; on XC race day it'll wear my Marz. 4" coil fork; and I might even try my Surly rigid fork, for CX races...

my Bullit & Boxxer set up works so well trail riding canyons that when I get the '13 V10C frame I'll keep this Bullit for guests'.

#10 ·
I have a V10.5. I've been riding Santa Cruz DH bikes since 2001 and have used all of them for trail rides during the off-season or when on trips. I've always kept a 34t chainring, lighter tires, and longer seatpost with forward head (to counter slack ST angle, now a Specialized Command Post) on hand for these rides. I use a toe strap (wrapped around the lower crown and arch) to cinch down the fork for sustained climbs. It's always been pleasant enough on climbs and flats that I enjoy using these bikes for trail rides and it's a lot of fun to be able to use your DH bike on backcountry descents.

#14 ·
^Nate Hills used to have a Reverb on his DH bike all the time. I never asked him if he raised it for races (he's fit enough to not need to). With all the wheel travel of a DH bike cable routing needs a lot of attention. He drilled the seat tube just above the BB and ran a Reverb Stealth. The KS LEV will provide the same clean routing and is available in a short post, 3" drop. Perfect for DH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.