Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Continental Der Kaiser or Der Baron Tubeless

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  11053 
#1 ·
Anyone here have any experience running a Continental Der Kaiser or a Der Baron tubeless? How did that work out for you?

I've heard conflicting reports on how well the Continental downhill tires hold up in tubeless configuration.
As far as I know, they're not exactly a true UST tire so I'm a bit hesitant of setting them up tubeless and blasting down chunky trails like Bootleg Canyon. I don't want to put myself at too high of a risk for a catastrophic blow out by trying to make a piece of a equipment do something it wasn't intended for.

I am running Mavic 823 rims which I believe may work well with the Conti's.

#3 ·
I run Kaisers on 823s.
I ride Mammoth a lot in the summer and Bootleg in the winter.
Kaisers have been my favorite Mammoth tire for several seasons.
823s came on my newest DH bike, I wasn't looking for a UST DH rim.
Took a look at setting Kaisers up tubeless. Can't recommend it.
Kaisers seem sketchy tubeless on 823s, couldn't get a seal that I thought wouldn't burp.
Sidewalls looked like they'd eventually seal OK, but bead + bead seat didn't inspire confidence.
I'd only feel confident running a Kaiser tubeless on a UST rim if it had a UST bead + casing.
Risk of rolling a tire off the rim isn't worth it to me.
So, running them with tubes and had 3 flats in 60 days this season. 2 pinch and one puncture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.