Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Midwest Downhill Enduro?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  gwillywish 
#1 ·
I've been getting a bit bored with the typical xc stuff and want to try some enduro or downhill type riding. But, there is a problem. I live 30 minutes south of Chicago, which isn't much of an enduro-downhill hotspot. Is there anywhere I can go that isn't farther north than Milwaukee and as far south as Bloomington?

#3 ·
Not true,

The rock sports complex is south milwaukee and has 13 trails 8 of which are more aggressive than 90% of public trails in the midwest. Its 20 for a lift pass and a few hours of riding. They have some good tables on there black jump line, some fast flowy stuff but not really downhill. You will have to drive another 2 hours north to get two decent downhill trails at Nordic Mountain.

#4 ·
OP - head to Duluth my friend. They had an Enduro series this summer. Spirit mountain has a new bike park - new trails being added at a crazy pace. I've ridden there a dozen times this summer. It's a blast!

#6 ·
Nordic hasn't built a lot but there are a few people (like me) adding onto the lines that are there. Built a trail gap and a decent table with a few berms in the last week or so.

The Rock is pretty legit for a smaller hill and this being their first season. They rent Operators if you don't have a bike, the hill isn't big enough to mandate a full on DH rig though.

Spirit mountain is AWESOME. Bring your big boy pants and hit the Blaster run at speed. Decent travel for the left side of the hill. Right side has 2 really fun flow trails that can be done comfortably on a hard tail (my chick had a blast on her trek HT)

#8 ·
The Rock is pretty legit for a smaller hill and this being their first season. They rent Operators if you don't have a bike, the hill isn't big enough to mandate a full on DH rig though.
I was looking at hitting that up. All the videos look like they've made EVERY classic small elevation mistakes: tons of switch backs, flat trails, small, jumps, no rocks. Those jumps are tiny compared to what we had at CPX back in the day. I was hoping they'd be more legit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.