Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

11-34T 9SPD cassette for more climeable DH bike?

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  BXCc 
#1 ·
I know DH bikes aren't typically designed to climb, and while some do it better than others, I'm looking to make mine a lot easier to climb with in order to access some of the longer DH sections on my local trails.
Not looking to do any epic XC climbs, I just want to make getting to these sections easier.

I'll still be doing lift access DH riding primarily, but I'd also like to spend as much time on the bike as possible and I think that some of my local single track would be fun if the bike in question we're geared low enough.

I know most DH bikes are geared much closer (like 9-23t for instance), but I don't see any reason why an 11-34t wouldn't be worth trying out.

11t as my highest gear will certainly be fast enough for my current downhill riding ability.

Any thoughts/concerns/ideas about this?

Thanks!

#2 ·
There are some "DH" trails around New England that require some pedaling. Not really climbing, but pedaling. For those trails I swap out my 11-26 for a 11-34 cassette. It works with my short cage derailleur with no problem, I just run my chain a little longer.

I wouldn't leave the 11-34 cassette on all the time, its not enough gear for lift served riding.

#7 ·
I build my Jedi with an 11-34 cassette, only because I couldn't find an 11-36. I'm perfectly content with it. It climbs well enough that I've pretty much stopped riding my other bike.

If cost were no object I'd go for Canfield's 9t setup, for even more range.

#13 ·
i run a 11-36 cass on my podium, i use it as my whistler parkbike. the gear range suit my riding fine, climbs well, cant say ive ever run our of gears in the park either.

its a xtcassette with m820 saint mech, raceface sixc dh crank,
Sorry for the hijack but do you have any pictures when in the 36t cog? I'm hearing 34t is the max but some are having great luck with the 11-36 cassettes. What's the major issue? I got a M820 rear on the way and a 11-36 cassette waiting. Will using it with a DM hanger make a difference?
Thanks

#14 ·
I run an XT 11-36 on my m820 saint derailleur/shifter. Works fine. Have been running it a few months and did a few very long rides on it. I heard the same thing, but only from a few people. Just set up your derailleur right and I doubt you'll have any problems. I have this on my Santa Cruz Heckler with a normal derailleur hanger.

I've heard the zee has no issues at all and I believe is even rated to the 36.

#18 ·
I ran an 11-34 on my M3 and then bought into the "hype" of getting the Dura Ace Ti 11-26 cogset. What a mistake that was. DEFINITELY go with the higher range mtb cogset if you have to do any pedaling at all!

Have FUN!

G MAN

#19 ·
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the help. Saint m820 rear with an XT 11-36 it is. I definitely need something in the 34 to 36 range as this is for a 1x10 XC bike. There isn't much Saint info on the XC side of the house. I was going to go for the XT Shadow+ but for some reason I have a fascination with running a short cage rear derailleur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.