Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike Size, Please Reply!

999 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Cary 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bought a new DH bike, and even though when I ride it it feels good, it seems that everybody I see in youtube video's ect has a much smaller bike in comparison. I was just wondering how big a DH bike should be relative to how tall you are?

#2 ·
It's all preference. I'm 6'2, so by all companies standards I should be riding a large, if not an extra large, but I prefer mediums. They just feel better and more fun to me.

How tall are you and what size bike are you riding? I'd rather have a small bike than a big bike, because it's harder to jump and throw around bigger bikes, but if you like it and can ride it well, then it's all good.

#4 ·
like moosey said it all about preference and different bikes feel different for different people

I am 6 feet 210 pounds and I rode a large stinky

FWIW....I feel if you are younger or to the skinnier size then get a smaller size bike a bigger person or older get the bigger bike

also if you ride more tight turn trails then medium and more flowier(straiter) trails go with the bigger bike

#5 ·
It's all preference, that's all anybody can really help you with. There's not really a magic ratio.

For XC/AM applications, I like a bit of a shorter TT, as it keeps me forward for climbing and aggressive trail maneuvers.

I prefer a longer TT on my DH bike since I like to get back behind the front wheel, and a longer TT lets me adjust to mistakes in steering without already being on top of the wheel. This season I tried playing around with an inch longer tt (I'm normally on a 23.5, I tried a 24.5) with a much shorter stem, and I loved it. The frame cracked but I'd still be on it otherwise.

I've been riding for long enough that I really know exactly what I want. If I were recommending to a younger or inexperienced rider, I'd stick with a slightly shorter bike. If it were a more experienced rider looking to improve the handling of a DH bike, extend that top tube. I think you'll start to see lots of companies experimenting with longer top tubes and shorter stems on any aggressive handling bike.

The short answer is to get used to what you ride, or get a smaller bike. Are you uncomfortable on what you have?

#6 ·
I think I am, I mean when I'm on the trails I'm loving it, but I do find it quite hard to jump . Even though they are totally different types of riding, whenever I jump on a BMX or DJ bike I find jumping easy. Having said that, the bike is quite heavy and this may be the reason jumping isn't that easy. To be honest I think if i could, I would get a smaller frame, but I have just got the bike and for one don't have any money, and secondly I think my dad would have a heart attack if I asked him to spend even more money on my bike.

#8 ·
I bought a new dh bike last fall, I almost passed it up because it was a small and the tt was significantly shorter than the medium bike I've been riding for years. The guys at my lbs convinced me to try it, I'm a 5'9" "medium" sized guy but some of them were over 6' and riding a small, and they were right. I've learned that the nimbleness of the smaller frame has proven an asset when riding pure dh, especially new school dh with lots of air time, I can't ever see myself going back. A trailbike IMO is another ball game, longer tt's for climbing, different sizing and geometry for different riding. YMMV.

#11 ·
The difference usually between frame sizes is the front triangle length and to a lesser degree it's height (although the latter doesn't affect mid air handling or jumping properties that much if at all). Changing the front end length an inch or half inch isn't going to make the bike jump significantly better or worse. It will have a HUGE effect on body position while riding trails and high speed stability. The main reason the bike might feel harder to jump than a dj hard tail is because...it's not a dj hardtail. Taking an inch off the cockpit length isn't going to change that. You have to jump dual suspension bikes differently. It just takes time to get used to a new feel. Reverting to a smaller frame size is a trap that will hold you back down the line.

#12 ·
My two cents, longer is better for stability. My bike was in the shop and waiting for parts and the kindly lent me a demo bike (shout out for Hank and Frank in Lafayette, CA) to use at northstar. It had an inch shorter toptube than my normal bike. While completely ridable, I had a few oh **** moments because my weight was further forward. We all adapt to what we are riding, but manufacturer recommendations for sizing are a good place to start if you are normally proportioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.