Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What fork is suitable for a 2012 Jamis Komodo!

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  pnelson112 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got a brand new out of the box 2012 Jamis Komodo for an amazing deal. First thing I did was pull the brakes off and put some Deore hydraulics on and made it a SS now I want to upgrade the RST Dirt fork but have no idea what to get. I have heard the Manitou Circus is a good one but not sure so some insight would be nice thanks guys.

#2 ·
Let's start from the beginning. It's a very good place to start.

Rule #1: Don't go overboard. It's a trail bike, not a lift access battle tank. I wouldn't put anything with more than 150mm on the bike, first off. People often get dreams of turning every bike they own into a dh bike, but it just isn't safe. You increase the leverage on the head tube with a longer fork, and you run the risk of breaking important bits on the bike as well as your body.

Next, your fork appears to be a 1_1/8" diameter straight steering tube. Your frame's head tube looks like a straight 1_1/2" on both top and bottom. This means you will either have to 1) get a new fork that has a straight 1_1/8" steer tube, or 2) get a tapered steer tube and a new headset that will accommodate the tapered steer tube. Either way will be fine, but I personally like the tapered tubes.

Any of the larger fork brands will be good. I personally really like the feel of Fox forks, with Rockshox a close second. Manitou is also good. X Fusion makes some awesome stuff too, and I'd put them right with Rockshox in second.

Next up: Axle type. It looks from the pictures like you have a standard quick release axle. To avoid having to get a new hub, spokes, etc, you probably will want to stay with the quick release axle. That means don't order a fork that has a 20mm thru axle or a 15mm QR axle. They won't fit. Unless you want to get the added benefits of the thru axle and are willing to get a new hub/wheel.

Next is stanchion diameter. Stanchions are the slidey parts of the fork that you don't want to scratch up. Fox, for example, sells 4 stanchion diameters. 32mm, 34mm, 36mm, and 40mm. I believe that they only sell the standard quick release on the 32mm diameter. That'd be a fine fork for you. Many people get worried about how big their stanchions are. Don't get hung up on that. They are all plenty rigid for you, unless you plan on starting to do big drops/jumps. Then you're looking more at the 36mm stanchions.

Lastly is all the adjustment you can add to the fork. You for sure want Rebound damping adjustment, and if you can afford one with compression adjustment, then that's even better. I personally do not know a single person who uses a lockout on their fork. It's more important on a rear shock, not the fork.

Then there is air vs coil/oil. Coil is simpler, but heavier. Air is lighter but you need to get a good one for it to be worth the cost.

My vote is for a Fox Float 140 or 150 in the 32mm stanchion. I rode one for 3 years and it held up incredibly well. VERY good fork.

#3 ·
I understand the whole downhill thing haha. I don't ride downhill I have been riding more and more dj/slope style. I would have all in all just bought this particular one because I got the whole package cheaper than buying a Fran alone and it's brand new. I was kind of wanting to stick with the 130mm of fork like what's spec'ed on the bike already. And your right about not wanting to swap wheels yet. But maybe in the future. And if I got a deal on a fork with the larger axle I would just upgrade the wheels too. I like Foxs stuff it's just pricey! I want a good set up but don't want my wife to hate me haha.

#4 ·
gotcha. If you're going to be doing dj stuff, the 130 will be more than enough. I just assumed that you were wanting to dh-ize it since you posted in this forum. Anyway, what's your budget? If you're looking to do it on the cheap, I'd go with a used coil fork. Coils are typically more robust for the constant pounding that dj puts on a fork. They're also cheaper. You can find a lot of them online via Craigslist, Ebay, or Pinkbike's classifieds. I sold a Float 140 a few years ago that had never been ridden, and it went out the door for $400 if i remember correctly. That was less than half price, and deals like that are all over the place. MTBR's classifieds are also starting to gain a bit pf popularity too. If you can find a Fox Van fork with that amount of travel, you'll be in good shape. Same thing with the Rockshox Pike. The old ones had a few issues with premature seal wear, but it wasn't enough to cause the fork to be considered bad at all. I'd personally prefer those two over the Circus.

The only forks I'd stay away from are the 2008-2010 Marzocchi forks. They had some huge quality problems. Their new stuff is solid again.

#5 ·
I am trying to get one in the 3-500 dollar range. And there really is not a great place to post DJ stuff it seemed more suitable here than in any other forum. I forgot to mention I can get any new fork at dealer cost. So that will make it MUCH cheaper. I will check in to the Rock Shox and Fox stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.