Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GT Distortion headset problems

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  syl3 
#1 ·
hey, i wasn't sure exactly where to post this:

I just built up a new (to me) GT Distortion frame, and everything came together flawlessly except for the Cane Creek headset. It was a unit that came with the bike, so it's possible that the bearings are just eff'd and I need to pick up a new one, but I'm hoping ya'll can help me save the $60 or whatever on a new headset. Plus it's just frustrating that everything went so well, but i still can't really ride the bike.

Basically, it's both too tight and too loose. When I tighten it to where there's no play, the steering is quite tight. When I loosen it to where the bike steers freely, there's a good amount of play in the headset.

Any ideas? To the best of my knowledge I put everything together correctly. Happy to include photos/more specs if needed.

FYI, it's a Cane Creek 40.Zs44 short cover with the reducer cup to run a straight 1 1/8" steerer in a tapered headtube. Thanks a ton in advance.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I checked it out online and it looks like everything is stacked correctly, and yes, the headset came installed.

I'm at a bit of a loss on this one...

#5 ·
Perhaps the cups aren't pressed straight in and flat down in the frame. Or the fork steer tube could be out of whack, same for the crown race on the fork steer tube. Or maybe the star nut in the steerer isn't straight at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.