Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrading to a downhill bike.

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Jumpcaser 
#1 ·
I have been looking at upgrading my cannondale prophet to a downhill bike. I was looking at the session or maybe the demo, but I was just given the chance to buy a used 2007ish norco atomic. The atomic would be the much cheaper way to go but would the demo or session be that much of a better bike? Any help on this would be greatful.

#5 ·
The prophet far from an XC bike, in the slack FR mode with a 160 fork you can very easily get a feel for what a bigger bike is going to handle like. Maybe a cheaper thing to try then going straight for a cheap DH bike. Your HT angle will slacken up to about 66-66.5 depending on your stack height and thanks to the already low BB height the bike will fit in quite nicely with most bigger travel bike geo. You won't have the travel, but you will have the geo. Nice way to experiment and find what you want.

#6 ·
Its still not a DH bike tho no matter what you do . I would save the time and money spent to try and make your bike capable. Rent a bike at a bike park first and maybe have a tour guide show you around and give you a quick lesson for a couple hours.

Ive built up a am/fr bike and its just not a DH bike unless you want to ride only the smooth manicured trails and jump lines. The bike worked fine but its nothing compared to my Demo 8 which handles ALL trails.

#8 ·
He is right on this though, in the end of the day this setup will not perform like a DH bike when the rough really gets rough. Baby head size boulders quickly become quite rough and difficult at high speeds. I should have mention that you should probably only go this route if you weren't planning on riding DH parks exclusively on this new bike you are planning on purchasing. If you did, do what he said vvvvvvvvvv

#11 ·
I would stay away from a going-on-7-year-old DH bike. God only knows where it has been.

Heres my logic:

Do you live close to a bike park? Or can get to a bike park frequently? Or just want a DH bike real bad? Or have enough money laying around to get a DH bike?

Get the DH bike!

If not, your prophet will do fine, you just wont be able to ride as hard for as long.

#12 ·
i would say if you afford it then get the newer bike, it will be more enjoyable to ride with its modern day geo, and latest suspension,,,, if your finances wont allow then go for the second hand option, but maybe somthing a bit newer than the norco, though the norco's are good bikes. both of the bikes you mention get great reviews,,, my brother has a new carbon demo and loves it, i have a knolly podium and love that, to be honest having ridden both bikes there isnt much between them, but im biased ha ha so id say get a podium,

#15 ·
#16 ·
I second the vote for a Giant Glory. Awesome bike. Feels lighter to me than the Demo when riding. More lively. It's also usually a fair bit less expensive for the same level components and suspension.

#21 ·
haha, yeah, the seller doesn't respond. Think one thing, write the opposite...

Anyway there are good deals to be had by patiently scouring the ads. Almost got a used Glory but the seller didn't have his stuff together and a status was ready to go and the lower price sealed the deal. good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.