Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rohloff any good for AC 29?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  brettsportler 
#1 ·
Dear all,

I plan to finally get an AC29 to have a full-suss companion for my Niner steel hardtail. I have a NoTubes Flow-wheelset with Rohloff hub on the Niner and I´m thinking about moving it to the Nicolai. However, I´m wondering wether the weight of the Rohloff might have an impact on the characteristics of the rear wheel damping? Also, I would have to go with normal 10mm rear ends instead of 12mm. So what do you think, Rohloff any good on the Nicolai or should I rather go with a normal drive train?

thanks

Björn

#5 ·
Dear all,

However, I´m wondering wether the weight of the Rohloff might have an impact on the characteristics of the rear wheel damping? Also, I would have to go with normal 10mm rear ends instead of 12mm. So what do you think, Rohloff any good on the Nicolai or should I rather go with a normal drive train?
I've run Rohloff's on Helius frames for years and it works fine. Moving to a Helius AC Pinion I'd say that I definitely notice the back end being lighter and the change in the weight balance but if you like Rohloff gearing (and I do) then go for it. It does increase the unsprung mass, which, in theory will have a negative effect on the suspension, but the additional weight you're talking about is comparable to a heavy rim and DH tyre combo - no one says the suspension doesn't work on DH bikes.

Get cable stops to allow you to run conventional gears as well so that you can try both. The only "disadvantage" then becomes the 10mm rear end. However, even DH bikes were using QR rears until recently and no-one died. The rear end on the AC is stiff enough that I doubt anyone can detect a difference. Locating the wheel on a 135mm bolt through rear is a pain as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.