Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

convert commencal meta 6.3 to fr/dh

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aedubber 
#1 ·
hi, i was wanting to upgrade my meta 6.3 by putting a coil shock and bigger fork up front. i cant afford to buy a new bike just yet due to money but i can spare a few dollars for some parts, most likely second hand parts. does anybody know if a coil will fit in the back and whats the biggest fork it will accept?

help much appreciated thanks.

#3 ·
hi, i was wanting to upgrade my meta 6.3 by putting a coil shock and bigger fork up front. i cant afford to buy a new bike just yet due to money but i can spare a few dollars for some parts, most likely second hand parts. does anybody know if a coil will fit in the back and whats the biggest fork it will accept?

help much appreciated thanks.
So this is always a tough one. I was in a similar situation with my Giant Reign a few years ago. I'm pretty sure that you will end up finding that you will spend a lot of money trying to get your bike more freeride ish, and it will still not be anywhere near what you had hoped. If you buy a used fork worth owning, it's going to cost you anywhere from 300 to 600, and a good coil will be another 200 to 400. Then wider bars, a shorter stem, and before you know it, you've got 800 into the bike and it is still a long travel am bike. I don't mean to discourage you if you are dead set on doing it. All I am saying is that if the frame was not meant to be a freeride frame, it won't ever deliver what you are hoping to get. My opinion is not what you want to hear, but it would be better to start scraping together as much money as you can, and look for a used fr bike. They can be found d for near the same price as a good upgrade to your commencal.

That said, a 150mm to 180mm fork swap might work in theory, bit that one extra inch of travel usually means more than 1" is added to the axle to crown length, and might put too much leverage on your head tube. The Meta is a decently built frame but it isn't a tank, so definitely consider the possibility of breaking a head tube if you long fork it. The rear shock will have an eye-to-eye length, and it usually isn't wise to go above that. Some linkages won't like you trying to put a longer shock in there, and the feel of the back end will be ruined.

#4 ·
One more thing. How much space do you have between the rear linkage piece where your shock runs between it? Going off pictures, it looks like it couldn't fit the outer diameter of a coil shock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.