Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Black Canyon Trail Lollipop Loop - More fun going down than coming up?

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  SHNIPE 
#1 · (Edited)
So, today I rode the BCT Lollipop loop. Unfortunately, Strava on my cell phone stopped recording half-way through my ride, due to poor reception, which leads me to believe that I should buy one of those Garmin bike computers. I also ran right over a snake on the way up the trail, but, fortunately, no attack this time - he just slithered away. But those are seperate issues.

What I was wondering is, does anyone think this trail is more fun on the way down - from the trailhead at Black Canyon City to Table Mesa, than going back up. On the way up, alot of the trail seems to consist of sand, riding through the riverbank and Jeep Road. Then, when you're feeling tired, you have to find the energy to ride up the Cheapshot segment.

Maybe the funnest way to ride this trail is to ride with a partner, park a car at Table Mesa and ride it down from Black Canyon City, and then drive back up? Just wondering what other people thought. I'm not a big fan of sand and Jeep Roads personally. :cool:

#2 ·
I guess if I were trying to maximize fun, riding it south, then around the west side of the pan loop is probably the funnest. Going from Rock Springs down to Table Mesa is only about 13.5 miles or so, but Cheapshot going south is about as much fun as guy can have with his pants on.
I don't find the sand and small section of jeep road on the east side of the pan loop that bad, but then again, I'm cool with rides that are a fair bit of jeep road every once in a while.

#3 ·
So, today I rode the BCT Lollipop loop. Unfortunately, Strava on my cell phone stopped recording half-way through my ride, due to poor reception, which leads me to believe that I should buy one of those Garmin bike computers. I also ran right over a snake on the way up the trail, but, fortunately, no attack this time - he just slithered away. But those are seperate issues.

What I was wondering is, does anyone think this trail is more fun on the way down - from the trailhead at Black Canyon City to Table Mesa, than going back up. On the way up, alot of the trail seems to consist of sand, riding through the riverbank and Jeep Road. Then, when you're feeling tired, you have to find the energy to ride up the Cheapshot segment.

Maybe the funnest way to ride this trail is to ride with a partner, park a car at Table Mesa and ride it down from Black Canyon City, and then drive back up? Just wondering what other people thought. I'm not a big fan of sand and Jeep Roads personally. :cool:
Yeah that other side of the panloop sucks, although rest of the BCT in reverse is actually a lot of fun.

Most people shuttle it though

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 53miles near Mayer | Times and Records | Strava

#4 ·
The sucky part if little pan is really only a short 1 mile of a 23 mile ride. That is the sand just north of the 3rd crossing on th east bit of the loop. The climb from their is long, but mostly gradual. Overall is it a tough ride given the constant climb or descent and the exposure of most of that required constant focus. I was using that as training for the whiskey 25.

#5 ·
I couldn't decide, I like it both ways. In reference to the trail, thank you. I don't think I'd personally want to shuttle it, as I can't think of any section either way I'd want to miss.

#6 ·
Tyson,
I used to feel the same way, the whole system is great. The shuttle give you range. It allows a longer ride, to see more of it, to see the different landscapes. You can start in the Cedars and ride all the way to Emery Henderson, all in one day.

For the solo rider, it works out great, you can really ride as much as you want, no second car required. Latedropbob is offering shuttles this summer at night.

This system at night is an absolutely amazing experience. It's surreal, it's nearly hypnotic.

#8 ·
Gps

...Strava on my cell phone stopped recording half-way through my ride, due to poor reception... [is] this trail is more fun on the way down - from the trailhead at Black Canyon City to Table Mesa, than going back up.
If your phone has a GPS receiver it does not rely on cell phone reception. It uses satellites. Turn all "phone" functions off to save batteries. But most cell phone batteries don't last long enough for a good mountain bike ride anyway. Instead of saying up or down the trail why not say clockwise or counterclockwise? I assume you are referring to the Little Pan Loop? I effectively do the loop counterclockwise because I stay on the west side going south from Black Canyon City to Table Mesa, and on the return I do the east side. I think clockwise might be more difficult.

#9 ·
If your phone has a GPS receiver it does not rely on cell phone reception. It uses satellites. Turn all "phone" functions off to save batteries. But most cell phone batteries don't last long enough for a good mountain bike ride anyway. Instead of saying up or down the trail why not say clockwise or counterclockwise? I assume you are referring to the Little Pan Loop? I effectively do the loop counterclockwise because I stay on the west side going south from Black Canyon City to Table Mesa, and on the return I do the east side. I think clockwise might be more difficult.
Is the correct name Little Pan Loop? I wonder where I got Lollipop Loop? Regarding Strava - I opened it halfway through the ride and it said Strava has stopped working and then closed out on me. Not really sure what happened as it should have been using the satellites but I think Strava requires internet to keep working? It kind of ruined the ride because my whole purpose was to get recorded on Strava as one who had completed the loop.

Yes, I mean counterclockwise. I guess I'm assuming that most people go down the West side, but that isn't necessarily the case.

I was also thinking today - perhaps it was a bit unwise to go out there alone with no cell phone reception. What if I had gotten bitten by a snake or crashed really hard. I guess it would have been bye bye time...there wasn't a soul for miles and miles. Oh well - all's well that ends well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.