Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Caution: Blingless 5 Spot

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
Thanks Larry for the frame and components. Thanks FM and Turtle 1 for the test ride hook up.

Most of the components were switched over with the exception of the all SRAM drive train, CK headset, Thomson stem, and Hope skewers.

I took her for a quick spin yesterday on some local trails (Banner Forest). The first thing I noticed was how easy it was to lift the front tire. I went from a 110 stem to a 90 and what a difference it makes. I definitely have to pay attention on the steep climbs.

The next thing I noticed was how steady and in control I felt. I am fairly new to mountain biking so I am still learning good technique but this bike just made everything seem so much easier. Talk about a confidence builder.

I need to switch out the Minute 2. It just does not go well with the RP3. It sure would be nice if I could turn the SPV on and off. I just overhauled the Minute and installed the 05 SPV Evolve assembly and Enduro seals so I’ll keep it until UGI kicks in. If I had a clear cut favorite fork to replace it with I would go ahead and pull the trigger but as of now I can’t make up my mind.

Speaking of the RP3 is in normal to be able to rotate the PP lever 360 degrees?

Here are a few pics, none from the trails. I forgot my camera in my excitement.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Blingless?

Hey dude, looks like you got your new bike; sweet. I hear you loud and clear about the fork, I didn't like mine either. To be honest, I can only see one fork on that bike and that's a Z1-FR. I think the taller A-C height on the Z-1 would compliment your frame nicely, but what do turtles know about such things.

I had a Vanilla for a while and it was nice and light. Next I had a Talas but had to pressure it up too high to keep it from diving-it didn't work well for me. I tried a Black, Sid and even the Rox Shox Race before I stopped trying to kill myself-those things are dangerous for a person my size. Finally I bought a Z-1 FR and have been riding one ever since-gotta love that fork.

Some of the riders on this site have the Mavrick and they''re very happy campers, that fork is soooooooo light. But for me, the Z-1 fits the bill, I can actually trust the fork on the trail-I don't have to worry about it not standing up when I need it; I hate doing endos because the fork dives or because it doesn't ramp up quick enough. If I was a lighter/better rider, I might get by with a lighter fork, but I'm a pig on wheels-I need that extra beef in the front.

Come ride my 6-Pack while I still have the Z-1, see if you like it or ask Dave how he likes the Z-1 on his Spot.
Turtle

#7 ·
I second a Z1FR. The 2004 version is about as bombproof a fork you could ask for and you can get them cheap [$350 +/-] online.....

Just curious, but are you using some old Oury grips as a chainstay protector? Thats a great touch! I actually use an old panaracer road tire cut to function as a chainstay protector, so I noticed this oddity.

#10 ·
jokermtb said:
I second a Z1FR. The 2004 version is about as bombproof a fork you could ask for and you can get them cheap [$350 +/-] online.....

Just curious, but are you using some old Oury grips as a chainstay protector? Thats a great touch! I actually use an old panaracer road tire cut to function as a chainstay protector, so I noticed this oddity.
I'll have to see if I can still find the 04. Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about an AM1 110-130 but I'm not sure if I want to deal with painting it.

Yep, those are old Oury grips, they work very well and will last forever. Good eye.

#14 ·
Suffering from low self esteem? :)

That is a nice bike! I ride an '05 Minute and love it so far. You would be hard pressed to find a fork that is better suited for the Spot. I guess you could sell it and spend a bucket of dough on a Push Talas or something. It probably would be better but probably not enough to redically improved your bike. That is an awesome bike. What are you talking about?

Jaybo

#15 ·
Jaybo said:
That is a nice bike! I ride an '05 Minute and love it so far. You would be hard pressed to find a fork that is better suited for the Spot. I guess you could sell it and spend a bucket of dough on a Push Talas or something. It probably would be better but probably not enough to redically improved your bike. That is an awesome bike. What are you talking about?

Jaybo
Thanks Jaybo for curing my UGI......for a few days anyways.

On my Jamis the Minute 2 was matched up with a Swinger 4 way and I had it dialed in. They felt great together. The problem I am having now is the 5 Spot feels a little unbalanced. I'm still working on the pressures for both the Minute and RP3 and hopefully I'll be able to even the front and rear out. No matter the 5 Spot is pure joy to ride.

#16 ·
You have to remember

slomoking said:
Thanks Jaybo for curing my UGI......for a few days anyways.

On my Jamis the Minute 2 was matched up with a Swinger 4 way and I had it dialed in. They felt great together. The problem I am having now is the 5 Spot feels a little unbalanced. I'm still working on the pressures for both the Minute and RP3 and hopefully I'll be able to even the front and rear out. No matter the 5 Spot is pure joy to ride.
I ride Hayes Mags, old XT cranks, Romic coil, and an old WTB saddle. These are completely uncool on these boards. Nonetheless, all four work great!

I am going to try either a DXH or a RP3. Not sure which. However, I only upgrade when the upgrade makes sense: does it imprvoe my riding experience enough to justify the expenditure? If not, I put my money in the bank.

The Minute is not as smooth as a Fox Vanilla. No question that is true; however, it doesn't bob or dive like the Vanilla (sans Push upgrade). I think you can dial it in with some more tickering and some suggestions from the folks on this board.

Good luck! That is a very nice bike. Be proud :).

Jaybo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.