Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

mad stiction

1K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  zedro 
#1 ·
seeing Via's most recent thread/bashing in which several of z's previous harassment reminded me about my dead fork downstiars...the part about the nitro charge in his fox RC and his lack of knowledge about it.

but yeah now to my point. i got a fox vanilla 125 RL and its got more stiction then you could believe. i bought it off ridemonkey some im not to sure what its been through. the guy said it had some stiction so i figured it was more then likely just the seals or the oil. so i replaced both. and lucky me its still just as bad. im sorta thinkin its somethin in cartridge in the right leg. cause when i was changin the oil i was tryin to get all oil out of it and it was just really hard to pump (according to fox your supposed to do it like ?) but i figured it was just the way it was supposed to be. i dunno what do you think? or should i just quit beatin a round the bush and send it back to fox.

#2 ·
Just send it in

zerossix said:
seeing Via's most recent thread/bashing in which several of z's previous harassment reminded me about my dead fork downstiars...the part about the nitro charge in his fox RC and his lack of knowledge about it.

but yeah now to my point. i got a fox vanilla 125 RL and its got more stiction then you could believe. i bought it off ridemonkey some im not to sure what its been through. the guy said it had some stiction so i figured it was more then likely just the seals or the oil. so i replaced both. and lucky me its still just as bad. im sorta thinkin its somethin in cartridge in the right leg. cause when i was changin the oil i was tryin to get all oil out of it and it was just really hard to pump (according to fox your supposed to do it like ?) but i figured it was just the way it was supposed to be. i dunno what do you think? or should i just quit beatin a round the bush and send it back to fox.
but I'd sent it to darren at push industries instead of fox.

#3 ·
zerossix said:

Hey dude...
My lack of knowledge there is the same lack of knowledge you have here... :rolleyes:

#5 ·
VIA said:
Hey dude...
My lack of knowledge there is the same lack of knowledge you have here... :rolleyes:
not quite. if you read any owners manual or even look on the fox website for a second its explicitly says do not attempt to rebuild rear shocks at home and if you do your warrenty is immedietly void. i know what im doing as far as the labor and everything goes im just not positive as to what the problem could be. working at a shop here in northern virginia i dont know alot about suspension but i know most rear shocks have a nitro charge that only the factory can refill. i also know that when something specificly says dont take me apart i dont take it appart especially if i have no clue what im doing in the first place.

#6 ·
zerossix said:
not quite. if you read any owners manual or even look on the fox website for a second its explicitly says do not attempt to rebuild rear shocks at home and if you do your warrenty is immedietly void. ]

mmm....realy...!!!! that shock was out of warranty for the last 3 years...
but w/e... I also work with my parts and had no problem taking apart every fork that I had and always able to put everything back on (w/o asking here ; ) so if I didn't knew about that nitro think still is the same lack of knowledge that you have now... :rolleyes:

#9 · (Edited)
zerossix said:
im asking for the oppion of some of the people who kno wthe most about suspension in the world not the oppion of a little punk who thinks he knows all there is to know. now if you'd go back to ruining your parts and leave those who know more then me to respond
Hey smart a&&...I can't care less about posting here but it was YOU the one that start a thread mention my lack lack of knowledge... so back off and get your sh!t stray... :rolleyes:

#10 ·
zedro said:
Juanjo cant get over the ownage....poor guy....
ZEDRO.. you are patetic man... with all your knowledge about forks and you chosse to reply about me...yeah man... I'm the poor guy...

#11 ·
VIA said:
ZEDRO.. you are patetic man... with all your knowledge about forks and you chosse to reply about me...yeah man... I'm the poor guy...
uh huh, still so obsessed....and the only reason you replied was....oh never mind it doesnt matter...poor guy.

Plus, i dont do Fox Forx or Manitous with all their mysterious internals i've never seen....

btw, thats spelled pathetic, not patetic....

#12 ·
zedro said:
btw, thats spelled pathetic, not patetic....
Thanks .. that's what you are ....PATHETIC
let me be the poor guy... :rolleyes:

#16 ·
zedro said:
LMAO

anyways on topic, can the internals be broken down, or are they one of those offlimits special tool deals?
im not positive, i can get the entire cartridge out and as far as i can tell it looks like its just two nuts on either side that should come apart but im not positive, i tried to get it apart for a couple minutes but figured there was either a reason it was so tight or i was doing something wrong. if you want ill go pull it apart again and snap some photos if that'll help ya? id jsut like to get this thing working before race season starts. i was planning on runnign this just for that so i could have something alittle lighter then my z1 up front.

#17 ·
well i dont know much about them so a pic wont help, but i'd try to isolate weither the stiction is comming from the chassis or the internals, so if you can seperate them maybe you can determine that. And if both seem fine, perhaps its the interaction between the two.

#23 ·
the trajedy

zedro,
fox forx actually have some pretty cool internals. The new 40 is entirely user serviceable except for the cartridge w/ progressivity. Hmmm crap thats probably what you would want to adjust you mad mechanic..... look at the 40 internals if you get a chance, fairly well thought out, but $1600 seems quite the name markup--- glad i got one with my demo 8 for $cheep$. Definetly best fork on the market but $800 more than boxxer for average joe--- if i was him, i would see a schweet hardtail!

#25 ·
j6105 said:
zedro,
fox forx actually have some pretty cool internals. ..... look at the 40 internals if you get a chance, fairly well thought out, but $1600 seems quite the name markup---
well thats the thing, i have my doubts if it is such a big markup (although i expect some since they have smaller volume than the big 3). I keep hearing how Fox puts quality machined parts into everything where others use cheapy plastic bits and such. Going that route can jump the costs up pretty fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.