Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Any pitfalls to switching back and forth between wheelsets?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Andy R 
#1 ·
I found a good deal on craigs list for a second wheel set I plan on using on my sngle speed. I want a quick way to convert from single speed commuter bike to single speed mountain bike.

My commuter mode will be a 36x16t with 2.3 Big Apple's

My mountian bike mode will be a 36x18t or 36x20t with ??? Tires.

I currently run mullet (Avid BB7 on front and Rim Brakes on the back)

Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of in doing this? I think if I end up with 36x20T I may need a longer chain for this.

Thanks!

#4 ·
The N+1 syndrome has bit me and I have too many bikes as it is. The wife is getting concerned that we will have to buy a new house to keep all of our bikes in.

The wheels are cheap enough so I'm going to get them any way. If its a pain in the @ss I will just keep the wheel set and wait for a good deal on a frame and build up yet another bike eventually.

You can never have enought parts, can you?

#3 ·
Getting a vintage MTB for $50 would be a better idea. However, if the second wheelset is your only option, then it wouldn't be TOO bad. Things that will get annoying:

- Brake alignment every time you change wheels.
- Either getting a second chain or quick links to add onto your current chain.
- Depending on your frame set up, re-aligning the tensioner. If you have track ends, then not a big deal.

The chain "issue" is the least annoying, as you can do it fairly quick with SRAM powerlinks.

#8 ·
If the new wheel has the same hub and you use the same brand and model for the rotor, you probably would not need to adjust the BB7. If they are different, you may need to shim one of the rotors outboard to match the other one. This way the front is a easy swap. Your rear is going to be the pain because of the change in gearing, you'll have to realign everything as others have stated. If its a formerly geared frame and you use a tensioner, then the switch would be easy.

#9 ·
Same rim width will really help on the v brake side so you can avoid having to adjust the pads every time.

Same hub the puts disc in EXACT same place inside calipers is a huge help too.

You just need to approach this with the idea that you second wheelset set up needs to mimic the first nearly 100%.

If it were a geared bike, you would clearly want the same cassette gearing.

#10 ·
I bought the wheel-set last night, and they look barely used. I've ordered a new rotor and single-speed spacer kit and they should be here next week then the adventure begins.

My frame is not a single speed specific frame-set so I use a tensioner to take up the slack on the chain so my rear brakes should not be a problem.

When my parts come in I will get them all set up and see how things line up.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is not a huge pain in the butt. It shouldn't be. My worst case is I have an extra wheel-set to use on a future project.

#11 ·
I did proceed the same way p08757, first buying a new set of wheels for my Kona Unit. It worked quite well with the track ends, keeping the same chain and without issues with the BB7 brakes alignment (32x18 with the mtb set, 32x15 with the commuter set).

But it did not work for long as I quickly decided to build up a new commuter 40x15 from there. ;)

I am now renewing the experience with my cyclocross as I bought a new set of wheels to use it with slicks on the road... But with the same cassette and cantis that's pretty easy and quick. No desire to buy a road bike yet :rolleyes:

#12 ·
What distance is your commute? If it's only four or five miles then I'd just use the same gearing that I was using off-road.
Actually, thinking about it, I'd just use another bike all together. All this wheel swapping will get to be a pain in the ass pretty soon (or it would for me anyway).
You say you've got a few bikes anyway - just dedicate one for commuting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.