Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Perfect helmet for ladies?

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  marinajason 
#1 ·
Can anyone help me? To find out the perfect ladies helmet for summers. I am beginner need some guidelines.
I tried many online stores, but have no idea which one is perfect for me?

#2 ·
The way I think of it,helmets that offer the most ventilation (by that I mean the holes,or vents they call them I think)are good for the hot weather...understand what I mean?
...and on the other hand,ones with fewer vents are good for cold weather...to keep the cold out.You also might wanna go up in the helmet size in the cold weather so you can put a warm layer under the helmet.
This is a good question to ask in the Women's
Lounge forum also.I dunno what style you like though.
You might wanna pack a coupla those plastic shower caps that are big enough to fit over your helmet in case of rain.
Anything cloth like bsaddle bags,etc...try to get waterproof stuff, or use a spray waterproofing to protect from rain and snow,etc.
...and put everything in heavy guage plastic zip-lock bags inside your saddle bags,etc.
...sorry,I got carried away with my reply.LOL
...one last thing...use gloves, and read this thread.
http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/snafu-must-haves-trail-repair-kit-847876.html
Take Care.
Z
...and wear glasses to protect your eyes.

#3 ·
Can anyone help me? To find out the perfect ladies helmet for summers. I am beginner need some guidelines.
I tried many online stores, but have no idea which one is perfect for me?
The perfect helmet for anyone is the one that fits best.
You are not going to find it online. Go to your LBS and try them on. When you find the one that fits, buy it from the LBS.

#4 ·
Check out the Giro Feature or the Fox Flux. The Feature is a men's helmet but the small fits my tiny melon perfectly. It's got good coverage but can be quite hot in sunny weather. The good thing is that they come in an assortment of colors, lots for us girls to choose from. The Flux has a women's version. It breathes well and looks comparable to the Feature. At the end of the day it's a matter of preference. Try on a few helmets at your lbs and pick one that fits you well. You can't go wrong with whichever helmet you go for.

p.s. here are the links for the two helmets recomended

Feature Mountain Bike Helmet

Fox Womens Flux Helmet - Fox Racing

Good luck!

#7 ·
If there's a Performance bike store in your area,they usually have a pretty good selection of helmets.They are online and they have shops too.It used to be Bell and Giro had the best fitting helmets,but now there's others too. Find Adult Bike Helmets: The Best Bike Helmets From Performance Bike

Here's the store locator.
Performance Bike Retail Store Locator

Their Team Performance plan is pretty good too...and their email list.
Team Performance Membership

Sometimes they discount the Team plan...you can call them and ask or get an email or google for a code or discount sometimes.
Z
...plus sometimes they beat or match competitor's prices.

#10 ·
For the gals, here is what I have found:

1. Gals are no different than guys... we don't want to look like a space alien and we want a cool head.
2. More vents = more ventilation = more $$ usually.
3. For gals and dudes with long hair, embrace pigtails.

Once you have your pigtails in and a pocket full of cash, go to some stores and try stuff on. Go with what feels comfy and ignore the price. They are all rated to the same safety standard so fit, comfort and look are generally what you pay for.

#13 ·
Nashbar,performance's sister company,(or an affiliate I guess you could call it0, is having a helmet sale today.
They will prolly match performance's prices and give a discount.Here's the link.
Bikes, Cycling Clothing, Bike Parts & Cycling Gear: Bike Discounts & Deals from Nashbar

I been looking for a combo air pump that can blow up a rear shock,a fork, and a tire.I found some on ebay...they're good to have especially if run suspension on your bikes.
Z
Serfas and a coupla other companies make them.The ones from China look just like the serfas.
Bike Cycling Shock Absorber Tire Pump 300 PSI Portable Pump Schrader Presta | eBay

Bicycle Pump Tire Shocks Suspension Bike Serfas Mini MP 2n1 Schrader Presta | eBay

...offthe subject, but worth noting.
Z

#15 ·
My wife does not sweat, ever, so didn't feel the need for vents and wanted a helmet for girls, which went well with her first bike almost a year ago, Pashley Sonnett Bliss.

She got the Hanabi, from this range:

Sawako Furuno

Looks super cool now when riding her Specialized Jett Expert 29er. Very different, very original.

Cheers

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.