Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What year is this specialized p1?

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  shibiwan 
#1 ·
I'm looking at this bike on craigslist, its a pretty good deal i think even though i'd definitely be swapping out some parts. One concern i have though is that in the listing the seller calls it a 2009 model however, from what research i've done on the bike it seems to be a 2005 or earlier due to the shape of the top tube. Could someone with more knowledge chime in and help me out?

thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
IDK but it has a rear disc brake and front rim brake. Thats a little odd. And it doesnt look like there is a cable going to the front brake. Just be careful and check it thoroughly first.
Right - it looks like an odd mishmash of parts... bike could even be stolen for all you know, and the fork/front wheel was replaced with an old cheapo fork.......and check out that giraffe-length stem (likely from a road bike)....

....more I look at it the more I smell stolen parts (owner could be the victim or the thief)....

-S

#5 ·
Yeah it does look kinda fishy the more i look at it. From that link that you sent me (thanks by the way) It looks the most like a 2003 p.2. All the p.1 bikes are single speed. The way that the specialized logo is placed on the bottom tube makes me believe that it is a 2003.

Do you think i should mention this to the seller and see what he has to say and maybe get a really cheap bike or should i just cut the ties?

#7 · (Edited)
It doesn't come with front brakes from the factory (BMX). I'm thinking the Marzocchi fork was simply replaced with an old cheapo shock.

Yeah it does look kinda fishy the more i look at it. From that link that you sent me (thanks by the way) It looks the most like a 2003 p.2. All the p.1 bikes are single speed. The way that the specialized logo is placed on the bottom tube makes me believe that it is a 2003.

Do you think i should mention this to the seller and see what he has to say and maybe get a really cheap bike or should i just cut the ties?
It's easy to add a derailleur since all it needs is a hanger, so don't let the lack of single speed tell you anything.

If you are willing to risk it, this is what I'd do (if I were in your position and risking it).

1. Tell him you're familiar with "these bikes" and the bike is a 2003 P1.
2. Tell him about the cheapo fork and the crap stem etc.
3. Lowball the hell out of what he is asking, tell him to take it or leave it.

If he agrees - YAY you get a bike for cheap!!! If he doesn't budge, walk away, and lowball him again if the bike stays on CL for the next week. :D

At some point he'll either agree or he'll have sold it to some sucker. ...and if the bike turns our to be crap (i.e. wrecked - but I seriously doubt it has any fame damage), you can easily give it to a kid (son/daughter, nephew, cousin, niece....) and score major points for Xmas. You can't really lose. :)

-S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.