Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking to get back in the swing of things

2K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  metalaficionado 
#1 ·
I sold all my bikes at the beginning of the summer planning to take a break, but now i completely regret it and looking to get something some what cheap to get me back in the game. I am by no means a beginner, as i have been riding for years. Do you guys think this is a pretty go set up to get me going? or should i wait it out and get something a little more, new?

Full Suspension Cross Country

Thanks everyone.

Edit: i mainly ride Deems hill, thunderbird, trail 100. simple trails like that around town. Maybe a hardtail would suit me better?

#5 ·
For 350 it looks OK. It's old but has decent parts and fairly light. Some may point out that it doesn't have disc brakes but V-brakes work fine. It's older but I'd rather ride this one than some of the sub thousand dollar tanks you could buy new. Offer 275 and see what you get.

and yah, how could you sell all of your bikes ??

#6 ·
Well glad to hear that your getting back into riding.

I ride mostly local as well and am really loving PSP. I have a 29 hardtail SS and love it. I think it all depends on what ride your looking for. I know going it, that I didnt need Full suspension or any suspension (riding rigid currently) for that matter when I first started riding. If you dont need the full suspension, that will allow you to get a newer cheaper bike. I think the hardtail might be better that thats my opinion and I like to keep things as simple as possible.

#9 ·
Well glad to hear that your getting back into riding.

I ride mostly local as well and am really loving PSP. I have a 29 hardtail SS and love it. I think it all depends on what ride your looking for. I know going it, that I didnt need Full suspension or any suspension (riding rigid currently) for that matter when I first started riding. If you dont need the full suspension, that will allow you to get a newer cheaper bike. I think the hardtail might be better that thats my opinion and I like to keep things as simple as possible.
How're you enjoying SS? I was looking into it but since I haven't ridden in a while I am a bit scared I'm not in shape

#12 ·
If you want info on bikes direct go to the beginners forum and mention you're looking for a new bike. The spambots and fake accounts will come out of the woodwork with all kinds of info on motobecan and Airborne bikes.

Personally I would stay away from BD. Look at CL and ebay and find a deal on something used.

#15 ·
The SS forum on here has a few long threads regarding G29's. From what I can tell its not a bad bike. Not very light, but easily upgradable with nicer used parts as your budget allows (I for one understand that not everyone can get a credit card or afford $2000 of bike all in one swoop). Brakes are the weak link on that bike by looking at the specs.

#21 ·
Just to get going again I don't think that Cake looks all too bad, when did they come out? '05ish?

Anyhow any $400 HT bike bought new at a store will likely weigh several pounds more, at least.

Sub $300 bucks seems like a reasonable deal. It will ride, and you will have fun, and you will have a FS if that's what you want. Better bikes can come later. You could probably ride it for a year or two and sell it for 60 or 75% of what you paid for it. Maybe more. Have you seen the crap on CL for $150 range? No name Walmart bikes.

I bought a nice bmx bike for my son a few years back for $100. He had it for almost 2 years and I sold it on CL for $100. It was in nice shape though.

#24 ·
Just to get going again I don't think that Cake looks all too bad, when did they come out? '05ish?

Anyhow any $400 HT bike bought new at a store will likely weigh several pounds more, at least.

Sub $300 bucks seems like a reasonable deal. It will ride, and you will have fun, and you will have a FS if that's what you want. Better bikes can come later. You could probably ride it for a year or two and sell it for 60 or 75% of what you paid for it. Maybe more. Have you seen the crap on CL for $150 range? No name Walmart bikes.

I bought a nice bmx bike for my son a few years back for $100. He had it for almost 2 years and I sold it on CL for $100. It was in nice shape though.
Yea thats very true. Itll get me out there and going. I'll have to take a look at it and see. I asked about the tune ups ect. and he said the shocks were rebuilt last fall (overdue, i can rebuild i suppose) and then he said its roughly 20lbs :eekster: Gonna get an exact weight tomorrow though.

#26 ·
Just an update, a good friend of mine is offering me a sweet deal on a Stinky Dee-lux. Should i consider it? I did ride DH last winter so it would be nice to have the option to go back and forth. Or is the weight just too much to do normal trails on? Maybe toss on a SC fork? Any comments are appreciated.

#33 ·
What year? Looks like a very good buy if it's fairly new. No idea what it retailed for but I think the cheapest Fox forks are that much. Have fun. I think you'll be much happier riding that around Hawes and whatnot rather than the Stinky. MUCH more fun. 25lbs is fantastic. My $500 Trek 4900 I bought years ago new weighed much more than my FS 6'' bike I have now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.