Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

rec. a dh frame please

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  motochick 
#1 ·
my budget is under 2k for a frame and rear shock (prefer a fox) with at least 7-8 inches of rear travel and able to use a dual crown fork. I've been looking at the transition frames but those are expensive...i dont care on the year or brand i just want those criteria met. of course the cheaper the better within reason. thanks for the help guys!

#7 ·
Sorry for thread jacking, but in a similar position myself.

What are your thoughts on the Demo overall, and what did you previously have? I'm also looking for a replacement bike/frame. Have had a '08 Demo, Chumba F5, currently a '09 Session, but feel like upgrading. Looking at a 2010 TR450, 2012 Demo 8, or 2012 Zerode

Hopefully still relevant for the topic.

#9 ·
I've ridden a Glory, a Demo 8, and an Operator. operators are great. Very simple, work well. The Giant and the Glory are a little more advanced as far as technology goes, but the difference isn't that feelable. It comes down to what you want. All 8" bikes these days are well built, and go fast over rocks. It all comes down to personal preference and cost efficiency.

question though, why would you prefer a fox shock? I have ridden a roco Air WC, vivid coil, and avalanched 5th element, an Elka, and a Fox (i dunno how they name them, but the top of the line WC version). I've also demoed a bike with a vivid air. The Fox felt similair to the Vivid coil, and the 5th element. The Roco Air was amazing (but I love air shocks), and the Elka, and vivid air blew the rest out of the water. I'm dying to get on an Elka. I'm not saying don't get a Fox, I'm just saying keep your mind open. I really wanted a fox shock for my M1 back in the day, I'm glad I got my shock avalanced instead. It was plussshhhhh. Anywho, long story short, be open minded.

#10 · (Edited)
2012 Trek Session 88 DH Bike Frame | eBay
Turner DHR 2011/12 downhill frame (med) | eBay
Santa Cruz V10 Frame | eBay
2011 GIANT Glory 00 Frame Size M with parts | eBay

JUST START LOOKING!! Like Moosey said keep your mind open. Don't get caught paying for a name. Look at other bands, Banshee Legend's are everywhere right now, and from what I understand is an incredible DH bike. Small name bikes go for cheaper since everyone is looking to get on a Demo, Session, etc.; you'll either get in a price war or seller over values their item. I would stick with eBay because the people there want to sell their stuff, but keep pinkbike in mind, but buying there can be a long drawn out hassle.

#22 ·
DH forks:

888 Steel: Plush, but blows through travel a bit easy. A bit heavy. No maintenance.
888 Ti: Same as above but much lighter.
Fox40: Same weight as 888 Ti. Much more maintenance. Can't describe feel.
BoxxerWC: Lots of maintenance, but easy to do. Much lighter than everything else on the market. Rides higher in travel, some like some don't.
Dorado: Never ridden one. Everyone loves them. Maintenance is unknown, feel supposedly, awesome, weight between 888Ti and BoxxerWC.

#23 ·
My dream DH build is a Rocky Mountain Flatline (Not necessarily the best frame, but I love them) with either an Elka shock, or a Vivid Air. I'd throw a Dorado up front (If its my real dream build, I'd wait till DVO releases something).

Now how this relates to the topic, I'd try out a Dorado. I haven't heard a bad thing about them, and they look really cool.

#26 ·
How about you start using google man ? Seems like your just trolling on here now with your lame questions .. People have given you enough helpful info, so rather then being a wise guy saying " how can't you describe the feeling of a fox fork " ... How about you go demo all this stuff or get some experience to answer your questions .

#27 ·
Woooow really?! How does one troll on their own thread?! lol you say im trolling but you contributed one incomplete sentence to this thread that contributes nothing. All i did was ask someone to expand on their comment. If someone speeds from a credible standpoint and tells me about from experience then i will believe them. If it mattered that much to me then i will demo them. But i dont have a problem taking so.eones word for it first. Damn man. ****in dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.