Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best runs in Mammoth?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  sirsam84 
#1 ·
Haven't been there in like 5 years or since all these new trails have been built. Hoping to hear about some of your favorite runs before I head up there next week.
Last time I was there we hit most of the major runs, Kamikaze to Shock Treatment, Flow, Chain Smoke, Bullet, Shotgun, DC-10, and did TONS of laps on Lower Velocity.
All the upper mountain stuff wasn't there though, Upper Velocity was closed and all the new trails like Pipeline, Techno Rock, etc... didn't exist yet.
So, any recommendations?

#2 ·
New School:
Recoil-Twilight Zone
Recoil-Velocity-Jills Jumps
Velocity-Jills Jumps
Velocity-Twilight Zone
Flow-Pipeline-Shotgun
Recoil-Twilight Zone-then pedal and push to Pipeline-Shotgun(best "run" in the park in my opinion)

Old School:
Bullet
Shock Treatment

DC-10, Chainsmoke are not open.

#9 ·
Even with all the awesome new trails, I still prefer the classics like Velocity, Bullet, Follow Me, and Flow to Shotgun.
With all these great new trails being built, I would still love to see a new single track that would connect Skidmarks to the top of Bullet.That would be killer.

#11 ·
On skids after the loose sand section; u keep on
Skids route for 1/2 mile then skids takes a hard
Right towards the lakes instead stay north bound
This leads to a fire road tht is steep at bottom of
Turn left another fire road tht connects to bullet
Trail u will a little above dc10- can connect to flow from
Bullet entrance.

#10 ·
Awesome info so far. Mammoth is big and with only two days there and not really know my way around anymore this will hopefully save me some time and keep me on the good trails.
Any trails worth avoiding completely, other than the obvious.
Sucks Chain Smoke is closed, that trail was too much fun, that drop was sketchy but so good!

#12 ·
It depends what you like. If you like technical downhill then

1. Upper velocity
2. Bullet
3. Follow Me
4. Shock Treatment
5. Velocity
6. Techno Rock, well upper techno rock is awesome if you hit the rock garden
7. Skid Marks

If you like boring repetitive jump trails

1. Twilight zone
2. Recoil
3. Pipeline

I'm up here this weekend, say hi. I'm the guy with the pink mohawk and purple bike.

#15 ·
Mammoth has did a great job the last few years but very dissapointing what they did to chainsmoke....the technical, lava rock section where you dropped in by the root...bulldozed flat
bullit rock garden sanitized, so is Skidmarks...man I loved getting beat-up and challenges...I rode bullit rock section blind without dabbing first time....then looked at it...totally a sidewalk compared to what it use to be...

the last section of Chainsmoke is closed... they are working on...I would be very disapointed if they take down the "wall"

#17 ·
Ya, they've sanitized a lot of lower velocity too. No huck on the final straight chute to the lodge, and put that wood landing on the hillary drop. There's still plenty of tech on the mountain too. The rock garden on upper techno rock, the bullet rock garden is still plenty techy, you can take the hard lines still if you want, and of course now upper velocity is there as well. It's still MUCH more techy than basically any other resort in the U.S. I've seen. But it would be nice if they would build some trails with a few more steep, "ultra technical" rock garden type stuff.

I've been talking to my buddy on the trail crew. The problem with chainsmoke is there is a giant rut below the waterfall. A while ago he said they are thinking of filling in some of that with concrete for long term erosion control. Regardless of what they're gonna do to it, he said they're gonna start working on it this week or next I believe.

#18 ·
A fun DH run top to bottom I did a couple times last weekend, Mixes fast rocky trails, high speed flow, and a few good jumps/drops:

- Skidmarks (high speed chunk)
- Tollroad (steep fall line)
- Follow Me (Can also do the upper Bullet rockgarden)
- Lincoln Express
- Flow (Option to take Pipeline after the drop)
- Shotgun

#19 ·
To answer that guy about getting up to pipeline...if you head up brake through, it was only about 12 minutes for me on my 47 pounder to get to the top of flow which you take to the pipeline turnoff...a little painful to climb that long on a dh bike, but sometimes better than waiting for a shuttle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.