Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Squealy Saints

1K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Swmpthng 
#1 ·
Of all of the reviews I read on Saint brakes (10-15), the only negative comments were either that they are too expensive or they tend to squeal, or both. So I bought a new set, front and back, bedded them in out in front of the house, and sure enough they began to squeal almost immediately, yet intermittently during the first downhill runs, here in Phoenix. Then at Keystone one day last week, they decided to squeal the whole freaking time, and it drove everyone nuts - mostly me. That evening I pulled the rotors and pads and sanded the glaze off. This seemed to help, but about half way through the next day at Trestle, they began to squeal intermittently again. For me, there is a lot less braking at Winter Park, then Keystone though. I read that ceramic pads are a solution, but they also wear much faster. Is there an other solution?

#10 ·
Chances are the brakes came stock with a full metallic pad. I think that a good start would be to go to a full organic option. Yeah, they're gonna wear a bit faster, but you will get better stopping power and much quieter braking.
If you don't want to buy new pads, maybe soak the pads in isopropyl and light them on fire. Also, a bit of disc brake silencers on the pads would be a good option.

#11 ·
Chances are the brakes came stock with a full metallic pad. I think that a good start would be to go to a full organic option. Yeah, they're gonna wear a bit faster, but you will get better stopping power and much quieter braking.
If you don't want to buy new pads, maybe soak the pads in isopropyl and light them on fire. Also, a bit of disc brake silencers on the pads would be a good option.
With resin pads? I thought it's the metal pads that give better stopping power but less modulation.

#14 ·
I was careful not to touch the discs and pads on both of the installation occasions, even cleaning the discs with alcohol, before installing. I've never heard of disc brake silencers :skep: (you being funny?) but I like lighting things on fire, so I'll try that too. Now since I've never had this problem this serious, as the brakes on my last dh bike were Code 5's and rarely squealed, where's the best place to get organic or ceramic pads? Thanks for your help everyone:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Any local bike shop should have a full organic pad in stock. With regards to the silencer, yes that is real. It comes in a spray paint type can and is simply applied directly to the pad. You let it soak in for a bit, and then go out and let it work into your brakes.

Oh and the silencer that we use at the shop is made by Swiss Stop. The LBS may have some of that as well.

#21 ·
I had the same issue with mine. All I did for a quick fix was wipe the rotor down with rubbing alcohol, then do the same while the wheel was on the bike and spin the wheel with some alcohol on rotor and gently apply brakes (while in bike stand). Rode today and only made sound once.

#22 ·
Make sure they are properly aligned on your bike. I would suggest the loosening of the caliper and squeezing the lever and then tighten trick. I have several sets of Saints and every generation of the Xt's and this trick seems to help a lot. Proper alignment is huge. Fwiw, I'm 220ish naked so I don't think weight is the issue. Pads can help as well, but I would try my suggestion first and it won't cost you a cent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.