Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

tube or tubeless?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  MOJO K 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what most people run, either with tubes or tubeless? Every time I store my bike over the week I have to refill and re bead my tires. I was thinking of putting tubes in it. If so what should I look for?

#6 ·
Something is wrong with your setup then. Your tires must be leaking like hell if they lose all pressure in one week. I've been running different Maxxis tires tubeless for a while, and I lose about 2psi per week, similar to a tube setup really.

I'd never go back to tubes though. The ability to plow through a rockgarden without having to worry about flats is priceless during a race run.

#14 ·
Well that is the source of your problems.

I am using the Stans kit with great success!
There are other brands too, maybe someone can suggest?

I was advised that the liquid in Stans fluid will need to be fully changed out every 3-6 months depending.
You can add more as needed between full changes.
Look up (online) the instructions for using the liquid you choose.

#16 ·
I've run UST and the Stan's conversion both, but in the end I've gone back to BMW tube as a rim strip.

Ghetto tubeless conversion DIY: tips and tricks

I do this with the schraeder bmx tubes. Little heavier than ust/Stan's but so much lower maintenance, and I've never burped one (which I've definitely done with ust/rim strips/tape). If you set it up right, the tube basically ends up glued to your bead, you never need more Stan's, and it takes an act of god to flat your tire. I'm currently running minnion dhfs/mtx33s setup this way on my Canfield, and I haven't done anything other than put air in them in probably 14 months. This includes a Mach-Schnell tree encounter that Pringled my front so badly it wouldn't run in a dorado, and the damn tire still didn't go flat.

#19 ·
I've been running stans kits for years, my downhill bike was my first to be converted, long before anyone else I knew was. Even at slightly lower pressures than optimum, hitting the rims in rock gardens and an occasional burp I don't flat. Any extra hassle setting up new tires is offset by the huge benefits of tubeless. All of my (serious) bikes are tubeless now, even the roadie, I'll never go back.

#23 ·
I loved my tubeless set-up until I started riding a couple of trails with tire slicing/puncture type rocks. Pulling out your failed tubeless set-up to put in a tube trailside sucks pretty bad. I've since gone back to tubes, but miss the tubeless performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.