Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

new saint brakes

13K views 83 replies 23 participants last post by  aedubber 
#1 ·
Anybody try these out yet? Thoughts vs codes or last year's stuff?

#2 ·
I've been on them for a month now and I'm very impressed.

I was previously on XT levers paired to m810 calipers and prior to that a full m810 set up. After half a season or so my m810 lever/ master cylinders would start to leak making it impossible for a nice firm bleed to last. The XT lever set up was great with no real issues.

The m820 brakes are the best I've felt. Most notable to me is the "solid" lever feel. Power and fade was never an issue with my past Saint set ups, I can't really distinguish much of a difference. Modulation is similar to the past Saints with maybe a little bit of improvement.

However, they are incredibly expensive! I'd like a comparison to the new Zee brakes.

Also have a few sets for sale...they're going quick.
BRAND NEW Shimano Saint m820 disc brake set - Pinkbike

#4 ·
Went from Code Rs to older Saint m810s this season. My rear lever and caliper are seeping oil but other than that they are a great upgrade. My Codes would fade when i was on them but the Saints keep marching in. Aside from the seeping of the oil I really like them. I imagine the newer M820s are great as well but couldn't justify the extra $100 each side for them.

#10 ·
They do look identical except for the pads on the Saint have the cooling fins and the reach adjust. I will say that I don't think it would be acceptable to me not to have the reach adjust with Shimano brakes. As the pads wear, the levers just move around too much and I use all of the reach adjustment throw that is available.

#15 ·
The Zee's look almost identical to the Saint's but the calipers are MUCH heavier. Performance seems to be similar but I didn't get to do much more than a short test ride on them in the parking lot (they ruled the speed bumps btw :p)

#32 ·
i think chainreaction are doing the older saints for 140 pounds,,,,

i was in whistler for a 2 weeks holiday at the end of june, we flew out the day shimano did their product launch in the bike park, a coupple of the journo's stayed with us, they all seemed to say that these new saint brakes were good but very inconsistent, apparantly the bite point changes randomly. look at the reviews on google, almost all the journalists that were there for the product launch report the same issues.

#35 ·
I have a new bike with an all-Saint build. I like the new brakes and all, and have to admit I'm not much of a techy guy. They seem grabby enough, and don't fade. But, I will say this - the pads started squealing like stuck pigs after about a day or two of riding. It comes and goes, but it's really annoying. If nothing else, it's really emphasizing how much I ride my brakes! I know it's a bad habit, but neither my Juicy's nor Elixirs ever did that.

Other than that, they seem like quality product. I'll report back after I've ridden them a bit more.

#39 ·
Try setting up your caliper body again and clean your rotors with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag or gently with a paper towel so as to not leave any particles from either on the rotors. Take out your pads and do the same. Be sure not to let your pistons creep in, so put the bleed block in.

These brakes should be consistent and should not squeal at you. My XTR brakes have partially warped after some abuse and still, no chirping.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.