Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Transition Bikes

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Triple8Sol 
#1 ·
Hey all, so I am looking into buying a really good bike, more of an investment, rather than a bike i will ride for a little bit then move on from. I have pretty much narrowed it down to transition bikes, but i am unsure of what to get so I figured I will go to you all for some direction.

All the riding I will be doing with the bike is lift assisted riding so pedaling up-hill is not an issue. I am looking for something to compliment my XC bike. I have looked at the 450, 250, and bandit bikes. I do not currently race downhill, but it is something I would like to do at some point in the near future, but I will not be making a living out of it. I really like jumping, drops, wooden features, more "freeride" as opposed to pure downhill riding. I am leaning towards the 250, what do you all think about that?

Is the 250 compatible with modern dual crown forks like the fox 40 and the boxxer? If I end up doing a lot of downhill riding, i would probably throw one of those on there. Or is the stock fork (fox 36 if i recall correctly) enough for most downhill riding?

Thanks!
Steve

#2 ·
I don't understand why you're looking at a bike as an investment. They'll immediately depreciate the first time they leave the store and hit the dirt. If you really want to just own it for a little while and try it out, I would recommend getting a used bike.

Any yes, the a Boxxer and 40 will for in the TR250, and if you're mostly riding lift assisted stuff, I would go for a dual-crown fork (though I personally prefer single crowns).

#3 ·
If you looking for a bike as an investment - perhaps a Turner is worth a look at? Simply because the warranty is transferable to a second owner as well as having a trade in program for a new frame. I not entirely sure, but i would think that would help keep the depreciation lower.

That being said transition do make nice bike.

#8 ·
thanks for the replies... from what I understand from reading transition's website is the 450 is just a downhill bike, while the 250 is more of a fr/dh crossover bike. the 450 looks a little more aggressive and downhill specific than the 250 (longer wheelbase, steeper headtube angle, 1" more travel) which is why i am leaning away from it, what are your opinions on that?

Also, what about the blindside or the bottle rocket as well? They look pretty awesome, and are hell a lot cheaper than the 250/450

#10 ·
thanks for the replies... from what I understand from reading transition's website is the 450 is just a downhill bike, while the 250 is more of a fr/dh crossover bike. the 450 looks a little more aggressive and downhill specific than the 250 (longer wheelbase, steeper headtube angle, 1" more travel) which is why i am leaning away from it, what are your opinions on that?

Also, what about the blindside or the bottle rocket as well? They look pretty awesome, and are hell a lot cheaper than the 250/450
Blindside and Bottlerocket are older. Less DH more FR/DJ/AM oriented. If you want a more do it all variety bike the 250 will be fine. The 450 was one of the most nimble DH sleds I have ridden tested. Keep in mind I have had around 15 bikes DH oriented since 1999. The 250 would be killer for 90% of DH out there.....may be a good route to go.

#9 ·
I've owned 3 tranny's...don't own any anymore:( (reasons left unsaid). but you can pick up some sick DH bikes that will not break and are North American made for a steal, especially if this is your first gravity bike. Look for an older Turner DHR or an older Cove Shocker...you will get so much bang for your buck. I've seen alot of bikes and alot of broken bikes and these two don't.

#11 ·
okay so let me throw this question out there for you, what do you guys consider DH and what do you consider FR? I dont really like the super steep, technical, rocky downhilling,such as trestle downhill at winter park. I like the stuff that is fast, flowy with big jumps and fast berms such as Rainmaker at winter park. Would you all say that is FR or DH?

Thanks

#12 ·
I will stick with just my thoughts between the 250 and 450. By what you describe the 250 is your bike, coming from XC the angles will be easier to get used to, will fill more nimble, and is still very DH worthy. The only problem is fit, I would like to see Transition make the 250 in four sizes, a little less difference in length between sizes. A lot of companies want to claim World Cup geometry well for a lot of people that are not on the World Cup might be better of with angles not so steep. Think angles from 3-4 years ago. It would be nice to see companies offer there World Cup as well as the working persons geo. I.E. Transitions TR250.

#13 ·
The TR250 is a great bike and is dual crown compatible although that is really getting away from what the bike was designed for. Ive seen people ride dual crowns on them and Transition says the geometry doesn't really change with a dual crown.

I used to ride mine mostly on jumps and drops but now usually ride downhill on it and it holds up well but isn't quite a full on DH bike, so I'm thinking about going to a 450. The head angle is a little better on the 450 and the rear suspension is more adjustable without putting your bottom bracket on the ground. The best way to know for sure what you want is to find a demo day and ride both or if you are close to Transition just send them an email and to see if you can stop by and try out the bikes, they are pretty cool about that.

#15 ·
While the TR250 is indeed an awesome bike, I don't think that it's necessarily the best for what you're looking for. If you want one bike that you can own for a long time, and are more freeride oriented, then I would recommend something which can do it all.

There are, to my mind, two types of bikes which fit the do it all category: downhill bikes which ride freeride very well, and bikes with adjustable suspension.

From category one, you have the Trek Session 9.9 and Cove Shocker.

Category two: Santa Cruz V10, Intense M9.

Both of the latter bikes are more plow oriented, so I'd definitely look closely at the Trek 9.9 and Cove Shocker. I'm sure there are other very poppy bikes which are downhill oriented, but these are the ones with which I am personally familiar.

I wouldn't suggest the TR250 for your particular situation. Though it's great for freeride, I think something which is more versatile may suit you better - you said you only want to own one bike, and want to own it long term. I think that the TR250 is mo suited to those who want to own two gravity bikes.

The Cove Shocker is pretty much exactly what you want. You can own it for ages, it can ride anything, and is ace for freeride. Trek 9.9 if you can afford it.

#16 ·
While the TR250 is indeed an awesome bike, I don't think that it's necessarily the best for what you're looking for. If you want one bike that you can own for a long time, and are more freeride oriented, then I would recommend something which can do it all.

There are, to my mind, two types of bikes which fit the do it all category: downhill bikes which ride freeride very well, and bikes with adjustable suspension.

From category one, you have the Trek Session 9.9 and Cove Shocker.

Category two: Santa Cruz V10, Intense M9.

Both of the latter bikes are more plow oriented, so I'd definitely look closely at the Trek 9.9 and Cove Shocker. I'm sure there are other very poppy bikes which are downhill oriented, but these are the ones with which I am personally familiar.

I wouldn't suggest the TR250 for your particular situation. Though it's great for freeride, I think something which is more versatile may suit you better - you said you only want to own one bike, and want to own it long term. I think that the TR250 is mo suited to those who want to own two gravity bikes.

The Cove Shocker is pretty much exactly what you want. You can own it for ages, it can ride anything, and is ace for freeride. Trek 9.9 if you can afford it.
I don't see where he said he will only have one bike. If that were the case I too would recomend something different but I don't think that is the case.

#17 ·
I am not looking to own one bike, I have an XC bike, and a downhill bike right now. my DH bike is an 04 stinky deluxe, and next season i am looking to replace my stinky deluxe. I will be keeping my XC bike, but i want to replace my lift aided riding bike.

#18 ·
My post was made under the assumption that you want to have only one gravity bike.

If you intend to have one downhill gravity bike and one freeride gravity bike, then the TR250 is about as awesome a bike as you'll find for the latter.

If, however, you will only have one gravity bike, I'd recommend something more like the Session9.9, Shocker, V10, or M9 (I'm certain there are other great dual purpose bikes, but I am personally most familiar with these four).

#21 ·
Go with the 250. I've been riding a Transition Dirtbag for five years now and still love it, if they still made them i'd recommend one for the riding you describe. Unless you are riding pure, gnarly DH all the time, a 450 is more race oriented than what you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.