Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Curtis Keene - J@ck@ss

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  delirian 
#1 ·
I had a team mate take a bad crash on Rainmaker today during practice runs for the Specialized Enduro at the Colorado Freeride Festival.

Bike Patrol shut down the course and had a few riders keep or inform other riders that the course was shut down. There was another rider half way between keeping anyone that may have passed to tell people to stop.

Well, I wouldn't think that a professional rider from Specialized would ever think of blowing past the trail closure... he did. Many riders identified him: Curtis Keene from Specialized and another rider (Not Identified, but was thought to have been on the same team).

What's worse, he rode at speed and almost hit Bike Patrol medics, 3 riders that were helping out and the crash victim himself (who was in pretty severe condition to begin with).

His actions were poor, but worse, he put many others at risk of injury.

My team mate suffered a broken collar bone (bent the hardware that was already in there), broken scapula, broken rib and a partially collapsed lung. He was moved to a level 1 trauma center, but is expected to make a full recovery.

If a trail is closed and a rider is down, please don't ride anyway.

See less See more
#7 ·
It's in our collective blood to blow through tape, hop fences, and other shenanigans in order to ride, so I'd chalk it up to that and not any malice on the part of Curtis Keene. I agree with others that we do need help each other out and be concerned and considerate, but mostly I'm glad that your friend is going to be okay, that crash sounds nasty!

#4 ·
Keene dawg must have not known because I know that guy and this is no way shape or form anything he would do intentionally.....

**** happens- sorry about your friend.... Don't hate on homies especially considering no harm no foul.

#5 ·
Ditto!!!

Keene dawg must have not known because I know that guy and this is no way shape or form anything he would do intentionally.....

**** happens- sorry about your friend.... Don't hate on homies especially considering no harm no foul.
One of the nicest more concerned Pros out there, for the bikers, trails and etiquette alike. This was a misunderstanding for sure. Curtis is a solid guy and would have stopped and waited for meics if he'd known. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
flat out the worst....I hate when people don't offer to help (he was taken care of at the time though) honestly as bike riders we are usually alone ...we need to help each other....

no excuses ...as soon as he saw rider down he should have stopped period

#14 ·
2 sides to every story,,,, maybe this was a genuine mistake and he wasnt aware of any incident,,, we will never know,
i have seen this kind of thing happen a few times when i have been in whistler, if i see a rider down, or someone stood in the centre of the trail shouting rider down, i will stop and try to help or go for help. but you always get the one person that has to come screaming through at warp speed ingnoring all the warnings and nearly making the accident worse...

a few weeks back i was in whistler, at the end of june, we got the first lift up, and decided to hit crank it up for a warm up run, we must have been the first people down the trail that morning,
on the lower part of the trail were you go round the left hand berm into the big step up jump, just past the jump going into the next berm, a tree had come down over the trail,
there was only 2 of us, my brother and me, and the tree was to big for us to move, so col rode down to get bike patrol, i stayed there to close the trail to try prevent an accident from occuring.
i stood up the trail well away from the tree to allow people time to react and stop, when the first group of riders came through they listend to me and stopped, thanked me for the warning, and tried to move the fallen tree, the next group through werent as clever,
as i am there screaming and waving stop stop stop. fallen tree fallen tree, the first guy hits the step up looks at me carries on whack streight in to the thing,as did the next 2 riders in the group, ( ok and i am standing there screaming and waving for the good of my health then am i,,,) at least the other 3 riders listend to me and stopped.
by this point there were about 10 of us, so we were able to slide the tree off the trail. luckily no one was hurt, but it goes to show how some people dont look or listen,

i have also seen similar things happen when ihave been boarding in mammoth, a little kid had gone down hard on a little kicker jump, and winded himself, as he was pushing himself up, i seen a guy dropping in, i was stood on the lip of the jump with my arms crossed yelling rider down rider down, jump closed. as he's getting faster and closer, im yelling bail bail pointing to the side, the prick looks right at me as he zooms past me, pops the jump just as this poor kid is sitting up, he turns his bord 90 degrees and his toe edge hits the kid right in the base of the spine.
the kid scrams in agony and bursts out crying, as this knob goes cartwheeling down the landing slope. i had to dragg this poor kid off the jump as this ********s mates were dropping in by this point, when i got the kid clear i went running down the slope after this prick to have words with him, as he saw a rather irate englishman screaming obcenaties running towards him, he soon got up and dissapeard down the mountain,
by this point the kids parents were skiing down the mountain, and thought i was having ago at their son, obviously seeing me pull him off the jump and shouting and swearing, they came over, but soon calmed down when we explained what had happend.
luckily the kids was ok, he just had a big bruise on his spine where the board had hit him.
i guess you get pricks in every sport in every country in all walks of life,,,,
im glad your friend is going to be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.