Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DH bike for a small rider

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Apache249 
#1 ·
I'm a small rider at 5'2". I've recently really started to get into DH at bike parks. I bought a full face, will be buying pads soon and started looking at bikes. I (like most people) don't want to spend a ton of $$. Mostly because I see myself getting up to a mountain twice a month tops and I already have five bikes.

I see a bunch of "kids" bikes like Stinky 2-4's. I love being able to really slam the seat down when riding DH. I realize the suspension travel is about half of what the adult bike is. Would that be something I can change? Or will finding a fork and rear shock be impossible? I realize the suspension on these was meant for a kid my height but 70% of my weight.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a small DH/FR bike?

Just tossing one train of thought out there. Any input is great.

#3 ·
Thanks, I hadn't seen an XS DH bikes in my searching (I admit not extremely thorough). It's just frustrating because most mountains don't have small bikes. One mountain I went to gave me and my buddy who is 5'8" the same size bike since it was the smallest they had. It sucked.

$1200 is more than I'm looking to spend, though. If I lived near a mountain and could go a couple times a week I could justify that amount. I do agree it's a smoking deal though. I appreciate the link!

#4 ·
If 1200 is out of your budget then you might as well ride 1 of your 5 bikes or sell some.. Sorry but when it comes to DH , get something thats a little more then just decent. The speeds and terrain that you ride , i am damn sure i have good working quality stuff . Just sayin ...

Do it right the first time so you dont end up breaking things right away and spending money right away which you could of used to buy a newer better bike .

#6 ·
Oh I completely agree on not wanting to ride junk down the mountain.

If I didn't say it, I meant to say that i don't mind buying a project and putting some time and $$ into it over time. I just don't have $1200 that I can justify dropping on another bike right now. I have no problem buying a $600 bike and putting some work into it to get it ready for next season.

#9 ·
That was for the whole bike he posted.

My 5 other bikes are 2 DJ/urban bikes, 1 vintage roadbike, 1 bmx bike and 1 POS dept store bike.

I'm really just looking for either a frame or a bike that needs TLC and build it up / fix it over time so it's ready for next spring. If my other extra bikes were worth anything, I'd sell them to start the DH fund but they aren't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.