Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fox 40 stanchion protector (upper guard)?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ronnyg801 
#1 ·
Who makes after-market plastic guards for a Fox 40? I don't mean the walmart style hose, but rather plastic half or 3/4 cylinders?

I haven't found anyone who makes them (who is still in business)... but I have heard of a lot of DIY solutions, but cannot find any pictures.

Also, a protector for the lowers seems smart. Anyone sell those (since I don't know if I could do the DIY carbon fiber solution).

#4 ·
Not bumpers.

You're best bet is to avoid letting the stanchions hit a rock.

And if they do..... sand it down.... and if it's tooo tweaked another stanchion is less than $200 unless Fox got even gayer
The idea is that if I do, and I have, had to bail off the bike, to have it not necessarily get me buying $200 of parts and labor.

Inverted forks have plastic guards. My Dorado does.

CoreRat used to make them for the Fox 40, but they are out of business.

#5 ·
There were cool Dorado-esque guards aftermarket for the right-side-up forks on Honda XR400s/600s. There was a little bracket on the lowers that captured the ends of the guards so that they slid down straight over the lowers during compression. Acerbis made them I think, but I don't think those bikes have been in production for a while. There were also front number plates with a pair of 'fangs' that projected down each side to give front coverage to the stanchions. You could probably do that pretty easily on a dual-crown fork (if you didn't mind running something that looked like a moto number plate). Search "front number plate fork guard." These may be too wide between MTB fork legs, but are a place to start.

#6 ·
I'm well aware what you're trying to do but let me put it this way....

In the solid decade I've had a big squishy fork on the front of my bike I have never, ever, once had the stanchions come into contact with a rock. I just knocked on some wood for saying it but honestly, how often do you eat shlt to the point you're considering ghetto-rigging some plastic protectors for your fork? If you were running an inverted then it would make much more sense....

If you're set on the idea however just find some moto gaurds for cheap off eBay and make it work

#7 ·
I'm well aware what you're trying to do but let me put it this way....

In the solid decade I've had a big squishy fork on the front of my bike I have never, ever, once had the stanchions come into contact with a rock. I just knocked on some wood for saying it but honestly, how often do you eat shlt to the point you're considering ghetto-rigging some plastic protectors for your fork? If you were running an inverted then it would make much more sense....

If you're set on the idea however just find some moto gaurds for cheap off eBay and make it work
I see what you're trying to do now. I have seen that a time or two but mostly people ride without them and it's usually not a big deal. Like he said, get some cheap moto guards off of ebay if you want and go for it. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone makes them for the Fox 40 like they do for the Manitou Dorado.

#9 ·
You realize that you want to proctect something that pretty much does not need protecting? In all the time I spend geeking out on forums and my life riding bikes I not once heard of a SINGLE person having this happen, If there was really an issue, there would be someone making them.

Or have faith in the need and design and then produce your own, you'll be rich!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.