Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How reliable is this brake test?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  CaveGiant 
#1 ·
Looking for a new brake. I've been running a '11 code R for the front, and a stock juicy 3 in the rear. The Juicy needs to go. Was looking at another Code R for the rear (great modulation/power and can be had for $135 shipped), or a saint for the power, then came across this test from bikeradar...
How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

MODEL Power(nm) Weight (g)
Avid Code R 103 429
Shimano Deore M596 104 490
Shimano Saint 105 529
Shimano XT M785 107 466
Shimano XTR Race M985 110 388
Shimano SLX M666 111 485
Shimano XTR Trail M988 112 407

the Code R and Saint seem on par on power...yet the XTR and even the SLX M666 (a $100 brake) trump both in power. Can that be right? I'm not looking to cheap out on parts selection, but how can the SLX be near the top of the power scale, pulling better numbers than the saint?

Or is this test on a bench machine moot compared to what is seen on the trail (consistency in pull, heat soak, etc)?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would guess the greater surface area of the pistons/pads on the 4 piston brakes make them better. Stopping power is a result of friction which relates to force on pads and contact area size. Also, more area means better cooling I think.

Just brainstorming here, but I'd still probably go with a 4 piston brake. Although many people seem perfectly happy with a variety of 2 or 4 piston brakes. I think there's enough good options out there that you can pick based on other parameters not sheer clamping force.

#9 ·
Found a basically new Saint rear (was used lightly, maybe 1 or 2 little scuff marks) for 130 shipped, so I grabbed it.

My bud has the same bike (voltage fr30), but his is completely stock and wants a set of brakes as well. Thinking the Code R's, especially for how good of a price they are, but after researching, it seems the SLX are literally identical in every sense of power as the XTR's, just only difference is cosmetic, weight, and a cotter pin holding the pads in instead of a bolt. For $89/ea, that seems like an even better deal.

#6 ·
The important thing for a brake is not total power, but how precisely you can modulate that power.

Full power will lock most wheel, you want to be able to set the power to the highest safe level before traction blows.

So althout total power is important, it is not the total story.

So reject the weak brakes, but read reviews on the more powerful stuff.

This is why I like my Formula Ones.

#10 ·
Is the finished quality that bad on them? SLX are pretty much $100-110 cheaper per side compared to the nicer finished XTR's, yet have the same power between the two. How's the stopping power? Any brake fade? And are they the newer SLX's that utilize the cooling fin pads? Sorry for asking so many questions, lol.

I was going to have my buddy either order a set of SLX ($89/ea) or Code R's (135$) this week. Both are great deals, and i love the code r right now (which is why i recommended it to him), but thought the SLX may be an even better deal considering theyre pretty much a heavier, less refined and aesthetic XTR.

#12 ·
Not much difference between XT and SLX brakes, but somehow the XTs are less powerful? That doesn't make sense, especially when you account for the higher grade of materials that XT typically uses.

The number one thing that debunks their test method- HOPE brakes tested well. Yeah, right. Nobody I know has kept HOPEs around long enough to get them to function like Shimano brakes do out of the box. A british mag giving british parts top marks? Mmmmhmmm...

Everybody that rides saints loves them unless they weigh under 150lbs in which case they complain about modulation. Most people who have codes love them. I like their feel but reliability was less than stellar. Shimanos are my favorite brakes and they reside on all my bikes besides my budget DH bike which runs hayes mags (cheap). They just work! Easy to bleed and reliable.

#15 ·
I have been running the new SLX brakes on my DH bike and now my FR/AM rig.......Can't say enough about these brakes, PLENTY OF POWER for anything Whiteface and Plattekill can throw at me (keep in mind whiteface can be a 20-30 min continuous run), I have never encountered loss of braking power with these brakes. My dad runs the XTR Trail on his Mojo and XT his 29er, can't tell any difference what-so-ever in power or modulation compared to the SLX. Only brake I have tried thats as good, if not better (by a little), is Formula The One's....

I have had AWFUL experiences with Avid brakes, so personally I would not go that route except for maybe that new X0 trail 4-piston brake.......hope this helped

#16 ·
"The number one thing that debunks their test method- HOPE brakes tested well. Yeah, right. Nobody I know has kept HOPEs around long enough to get them to function like Shimano brakes do out of the box. A british mag giving british parts top marks? Mmmmhmmm..."

Everyone I know loves hope breaks, without exception they are loved by everyone!
The key thing is that the test rates hope brakes poorly, not well.

The mag apologies for the bad power scores on the hopes and explain that although their power is weak their feel is amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.