Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dr. J Trail near Pittsburgh . . .

980 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  B-Mac 
#1 ·
Went to North Park, near Pittsburgh PA to run the Dr. J trail on Sunday.

The trail has this wooden whale tail feature near the bottom. Last year I stopped to look at the feature before running it and watched 2 guys cartwheel off the end, one of whom broke his collarbone in the process. It sketched me so bad I decided to just bypass it for the day. That blatant puss-out has been on my mind since, so went back for the purpose of whale tail redemption.

The trail, btw, is a short, fun, steep-ish trail that's mostly a series of drops, some natural and some man made. Not hugely technical or anything but definitely a good way to get some DH/FR time in here in the flatlands without ponying up for a lift ticket.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I case hugely on the entrance. Several times.

Anyway, watch in HD if you have the time & hardware.

#4 ·
Liking it man! Nice job!I have had a few of those times where not doing something on the trail bothered me later on because I had my doubts on being able to stick it. This season I have done all of the ones that had me second guessing myself. Feels damn good!

#5 ·
awesome..I would love that trail....pre load into it....and pop so you don't come up short...also lay front end down (endo landings on other parts and it will be smoother...

always awesome to sleigh your demons....GREAT JOB :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#6 ·
awesome..I would love that trail....pre load into it....and pop so you don't come up short...also lay front end down (endo landings on other parts and it will be smoother...

always awesome to sleigh your demons....GREAT JOB :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks! Dr. J is a fun trail! We're really lucky that PTAG took the time, money & effort to get it built.

That whale tail had just been haunting me since I chickened on it last year. I've been riding DH for around 18 months now (well, longer if you count jump lines at Ray's MTB) but just couldn't see myself clearing that little gap at the end. Then watched 2 guys cartwheel off the end, one wound up with a broken shoulder.

Anyway, I'm going to Whistler this Friday so I had to get my confidence back. Just might need it there LOL!

Thanks for watching the video!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.