Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saint BB creaking on my nerves......

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  jdeleon71 
#1 ·
I'm pretty sure it is the BB. It was nice a greased up when I installed. Crank arms are torqued to spec. Creaks the most on the drive side down stroke. The BB that came with the cranks was a 73mm. Should it have been a proper 83mm BB? Shimano instructions say 73mm is universal, or some thing like that. Is there anything I can do about this other than buying a new BB?

#2 ·
I'm not familiar with Saint cranks, but I had a creaking pedal insert in my old Hussefelt crank. That could be the annoying sound. I had undone and re-greased everything, tried other pedals, chainrings, checked BB and the sound went away when I installed a new Hussefelt arm.

#3 ·
Use the Force....j/k but try using some tri-flow or similar liquid lubricant around the area you hear the creaks, grease doesn't always get into areas where parts are pressed together with tight tolerances.

If thats fails just dip your bike in a swimming pool, that should quiet down all the sweaks for a while. lol

#9 · (Edited)
Didn't seen necessary. Threads and surface looked good. I might as well recheck after everything is apart.

I just had the same thing, god awful creaking so bad I thought for sure the BB was shot.

Took it apart, pulled the seals off the BB bearings, re greased, cleaned everything and re assembled and creaking is gone.
I'm going to tear it all down today and re-lube after I do some work on the sportbike.

#8 ·
I just had the same thing, god awful creaking so bad I thought for sure the BB was shot.

Took it apart, pulled the seals off the BB bearings, re greased, cleaned everything and re assembled and creaking is gone.

I also pulled the pedals apart and packed them full of grease as well.

yes the bb cups are the same regardless of bb width, just that plastic pipe that seals between them is different in length.

#10 ·

I had the same problem and it kept coming back after a month or 2, till i got the BB faced. DH frames have more of a problem with this than XC frames because the iscg tab is welded so close to the edge of BB and can warp or a weld bead can be too thick and hang over the edge. I find the cheapo plastic 2.5mm spacers help too over the colored alloy ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.