Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

PUSHed Boxxer?

1K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
Im thinking of buying a used bike that has a PUSHed Boxxer.
Not a big fan of Boxxers but I imagine the PUSHed version might be sweet.
Anyone ever have the chance to ride one?

#3 ·
RuNDmC1087 said:
I may be wrong but i don't recall that PUSH Industries works on boxxers, i think they only do the fox forx and shox....
U R right... only FOX shocks and forks can be 'PUSHed'

#6 ·
Yeah I hate to disagree with everyone else, except Curb Hucker of course because he's right Darren has done some Boxxers, my bud has one. It's pretty sweet, def a huge improvement over the stock internals.

Tracerjohn, what bike is it your looking at, if you don't mind my asking?

#7 ·
Boxxers have a orofice damper, like a marzocchi Jr T. The high end marzocchis and fox forks share similer damping systems, although with the fox fork they can actually be taken apart and you can modify the piston, or install a completely new one, which is what PUSH does.

When (if) push works on a boxxer, it isn't going to be the same thing as when they work on fox forks. There's no "piston" in the boxxer, there's only orofices and such, so while there might be some improvements they can make, it's not going to be the same thing as getting a fox fork modified.

I thought Push was supposed to come out with a cartridge damper for the boxxer sometime soon though? That would make it work more like fox forks.

#9 ·
zedro said:
you're assuming alot there JM, how do you know he didnt do a complete damper overhaul?
uh, I am assuming nothing, I am telling people that the boxxer is inherently different than the fox, so "pushing" a boxxer is not going to mean the same thing as simply replacing a piston, like is done in the fox. It's going to be an entirely different process. That much is fact.

#10 ·
Jm. said:
uh, I am assuming nothing, I am telling people that the boxxer is inherently different than the fox, so "pushing" a boxxer is not going to mean the same thing as simply replacing a piston, like is done in the fox. It's going to be an entirely different process. That much is fact.
uhh, you still dont get it. The PUSH mods that have been done may have involved a total damper build. You dont exactly know what he's done, that much is fact.

dont take the verb 'PUSHed' too litterally. Plus the Vanilla damper mods involved all new parts that didnt exist in stock form.

#11 ·
zedro said:
uhh, you still dont get it. The PUSH mods that have been done may have involved a total damper build. You dont exactly know what he's done, that much is fact.

dont take the verb 'PUSHed' too litterally. Plus the Vanilla damper mods involved all new parts that didnt exist in stock form.
Uh, you don't get it. The boxxer "damper" is physically totally different than the fox. I know you know this, but the point is that I don't think everyone does, or is aware that a "push" modification for a boxxer is going to be totally different than what happens to a fox fork.

ALL I am saying is that whatever he does for the boxxer is completely different than what he does to the fox (installing a new piston valved for the rider, blah blah blah).

Yes, push may do a total damper rebuild, change the oil, install a cartridge damper, whatever, the point is that it's not what happens to the fox fork, and I'd bet you an 888RC that there's a good deal of people that don't know this and just assume that whatever a suspension company does is "magic".

#12 ·
Jm. said:
Boxxers have a orofice damper, like a marzocchi Jr T. The high end marzocchis and fox forks share similer damping systems, although with the fox fork they can actually be taken apart and you can modify the piston, or install a completely new one, which is what PUSH does.

When (if) push works on a boxxer, it isn't going to be the same thing as when they work on fox forks. There's no "piston" in the boxxer, there's only orofices and such, so while there might be some improvements they can make, it's not going to be the same thing as getting a fox fork modified.

I thought Push was supposed to come out with a cartridge damper for the boxxer sometime soon though? That would make it work more like fox forks.
No piston in the Boxxer huh :rolleyes: Than what is the thing at the end of the pumping rod with the o-rings on it. The Fox is a sealed unit unlike a Marz and can't be taken apart. The guys at Push are a little ahead of their time because they do good research, and have a knack for fine tuning forks and shocks. They don't do sloppy "production" work either.

#15 ·
red5 said:
Yeah I hate to disagree with everyone else, except Curb Hucker of course because he's right Darren has done some Boxxers, my bud has one. It's pretty sweet, def a huge improvement over the stock internals.

Tracerjohn, what bike is it your looking at, if you don't mind my asking?
this is true. I know for a Fact that Push did a Whole team but didn't tell Boxxer

#18 ·
dhtahoe said:
No piston in the Boxxer huh :rolleyes: Than what is the thing at the end of the pumping rod with the o-rings on it.
It's either the check valve, or the base valve. The boxxer doesn't have "pistons".

#20 ·
Darren ought to trademark that term....

..."PUSH'D"... Anything that has been sent in to be worked on at Push Ind., technically has been "PUSH'D" , whether just an overhaul or platform upgrade, Fox shock or whatever. Of course that's just my opinion...Man.

#21 ·
mattsavage said:
..."PUSH'D"... Anything that has been sent in to be worked on at Push Ind., technically has been "PUSH'D" , whether just an overhaul or platform upgrade, Fox shock or whatever. Of course that's just my opinion...Man.
yes but Darren will have to confirm with Jm first on what exactly the term should entail....

#24 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
yep and that was supposed to be a secret....hopefully they don't lose their sponsorship over it.

GCBY
I don't think it's a that's big of a secret......I've seen several for sale on here...plus another guy a race against has one....there is even a DHR with the rear shock on it for sale on here. If Darren was really worried about it, he woulda made them give the forks back.

#25 ·
zutroy said:
I don't think it's a that's big of a secret......I've seen several for sale on here...plus another guy a race against has one....there is even a DHR with the rear shock on it for sale on here. If Darren was really worried about it, he woulda made them give the forks back.
Boxxer not darren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.