Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is it ever ok to advertise unsanctioned spots?

3K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  singlesprocket 
#1 ·
We've heard the args before
It's not your land
Everyone knows about it
Im trying to help internet randoms out
Discusss....

#3 ·
This happened to someone where I live. They were talking about the sweet jumps and badass downhill... then told where it was. Now it is chained off with patrols, because a forest ranger saw it and reported it. So.. word of mouth - don't tell random people about your spots... if people want to bike they will find someone to ask. Which is the best advice really.. just get connected with a couple good local riders or your LBS.

#7 ·
exactly

LET ME PUT IT ANOTHER WAY how many people actually spend at least 12 days or more building (trail maintenance a day) ??? be honest....well guys who build and maintain trails hate when people come in and take ride arounds, post videos and directions and show/tell people where they ride. Flat out sucks...and if a trail gets closed because of blabber mouths it is worse....don't FVCKING tell no one unless you work on trail

#11 ·
If you built it yourself... then possibly. Example: I built a trail and kept it top secret for about 6 months, but was leaving town not to return for a year, so I included it in a video. I sorta would like people to ride it, since it is better being ridden and not getting super overgrown and run-down than, well, getting overgrown and run-down.

In any other case (you didn't build it) = NO

#16 ·
heres some more background of a pm i sent to an advertiser recently, we think it's the same guy who recently showed up w 3 gopros on his bike saying it's too late, everyone knows about it
Hey was also mouthing off about how he's sick and tired of the locals trying to keep it hush
==>
Hey,
Please don't take this the wrong way, but we try to keep chatter and footy about unsanctioned jump areas off the public internet, pm's work best if you want to help someone out
I know "everyone knows about them", etc, but the more peeps that go there. esp beginners, the more likely they will fall and call for help, for post footy with trail names on the web inviting even more, seen it happen too many times there and all over which causes the trails to get closed
I also know not everyone agrees with our (some of the diggers there) sentiment and not looking for a debate
Thanks for your help and also encouraging others not to talk openly on the internet about illegal trails
G

#############################################################
3 Days Ago

mtbr member

Re:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon
Hey,
Please don't take this the wrong way, but we try to keep chatter and footy about unsanctioned jump areas off the public internet, pm's work best if you want to help someone out
I know "everyone knows about them", etc, but the more peeps that go there. esp beginners, the more likely they will fall and call for help, for post footy with trail names on the web inviting even more, seen it happen too many times there and all over which causes the trails to get closed
I also know not everyone agrees with our (some of the diggers there) sentiment and not looking for a debate
Thanks for your help and also encouraging others not to talk openly on the internet about illegal trails
G
Huh? Illegal? I was under the impression that the landowners OK'd access. Them stunts have been there for the last 4 years that I've been riding the area. Please clue me in if I'm wrong (with some substantiated factual info, not internet here-say or so and so told you), otherwise buzz off. I'm just trying to help out fellow riders. That's our community, dude. And yes, everyone does already know about ******. If you want them all to yourself buy some land and build your own park.

#19 ·
heres d call for help, for post footy with trail names on the web inviting even more, seen it happen too many times there and all over which causes the trails to get closed
i also know not everyone agrees with our (some of the diggers there) sentiment and not looking for a debate
thanks for your help and also encouraging others not to talk openly on the internet about illegal trails
g
huh? Illegal? I was under the impression that the landowners ok'd access. Them stunts have been there for the last 4 years that i've been riding the area. Please clue me in if i'm wrong (with some substantiated factual info, not internet here-say or so and so told you), otherwise buzz off. I'm just trying to help out fellow riders. That's our community, dude. And yes, everyone does already know about ******. If you want them all to yourself buy some land and build your own park.
we need names...this guy needs to be educated....that is just they type of person who ruins it for all

#17 ·
Been there..Once a spot gets so much public attention it is hard for those deadicated builders to continue to feel good about their work ..Half the time stuff gets blown out before the builders ever get to sample their hard work ..And that stupid argument about not being your land is bogus ..Yeah builder/s may not own it but they sure did find the spot and develop it . Our problem was more with newb builders do as they pleased to our lines or jumps plus building new lines furthermore pissing off the forest service..In the end we have just about given up with the spot entirely and haven't thrown dirt in a long time as well we have moved on and learned some lessons.

#18 ·
fyi, none of us are even going so far to say no dig no ride

all we ask is not to advertise, not just on mtbr, but anywhere on the internet (of off the web for that matter)

then theres other individuals who make features easier because they can't do them (ie chopping down jumps and filling in gaps)

#20 ·
We have a guy like this in the Front Range of CO. One area of trails have land owner permissions, some trails even ending on their property in sight of their cabins. One guy rides his moto on them and one owner's kid rides the trails; but it is invite only. So our antagonist drove up one owner's driveway, right past no trespassing signs. His theory is "No Secret Trails!". Guy was contacted by the owner, several of us, etc. He has calmed down a bit for now, but every year or two he starts over again.

#26 ·
Thanks for the reminder thread.

It's high- season for noobs, ambulance rides, and goobers posting self promotional trail vids on the Internet. Good time for a reminder.

I always suggest to e-heroes that if they must post a location on the internet of the trail they should post their home address. See how that works out.

#32 ·
Oh dude who gives a **** about the time the trail builders dedicated out there slaving away for the sake of your enjoyment.

Who cares about the people who spend the time putting in the work making sure the trail is riding as well as it can while you're siting on your fat ass watching 16&Pregnant on tv

Those trail pixies must just be magic man. Let me give you all the gps coordinates to the spots I spent weeks in the forest getting **** done.

Haha come on man if this isn't common sense you need to take a good hard look at yourself

#36 ·
(can't we all just get along) kidding aside. (just let it go it's not worth it) that's what someone told me when i was ready to rip another riders head off for tearing down what i built. you know who you are. just drop it...ralph

#38 ·
Trails are meant to be ridden...but if by advertise, you mean name trail locations on the internet where anyone with a "new downhill triple clamp dual crown 10" full squishie bro!" can show up, get hurt and ruin the spot, then no...

I like to follow the Boy Scout Mantra - Leave the place better than when you found it. Fix the lips, shape a berm or two, pick up garbage that isn't yours, and don't scare hikers/neighbors... this way we can keep enoying the fruits of a few...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.