Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kneed new pads

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Steery 
#1 ·
Looking for new knee pads to replace my 661 knee/shin set. My pads are ripping at the top of the knee cup on the mesh and aside from the plastic shell they don't offer as much protection as I'd like. I like the padding of things like the TLD T-bones, Rockgardn Neo and the Nukeproof Critical armor knee. I tried on the TLD ones at Snowshoe and the S/M fit well enough but felt very likely to irritate the back of my knee and the next size up I was able to slide with the straps tightened down. I can't try on the Rockgardn or the Nukeproof ones but it is looking like the NP have the edge since there is a cutout behind the knee. Anyone have any experience with the Rockgardn or NP pads that can help this decision along?

#7 ·
The Alpinestars are badly designed in that they have the rough part of the velcro exposed. It tends to get caught up in the mesh of your shorts. The Nukeproofs are comfy and will do their job, but they tend to get really warm, like most knee pads of the same design(661, TLD, etc..).
Personally, I prefer the THE Storm knee/shins. The hard plastic outer slides along whatever surface it gets rubbed against and keeps the guard from being snagged and pulled down, in a crash and once they're on, I hardly even notice they're there. In the heat and humidity of my country, that's a good thing.

#10 ·
my brother has the tld pads and rates them highly,,,,
i have the rockardn neo pads, they are good pads i rate them,,,,
as most of the reviews say about them, they are very comfortable to wear, well padded, and take impacts well, ( i tested this out in whistler a few weeks ago, had a hard impact on my right knee on the rocky rooty section on the end of lower danimal) the stayed on didnt move,,,,,
my only 2 complaints would be, for peddaling they can rub the back of the knee and chaff quite bad, and they can get very hot, i noticed in whistler when i was out peddaling xc, that my knees would sweat so bad the pads would start to slide down, but the sliding was more down to my shorts pushing them down, (i was wearing 3 quarter lengh endura event water proofs that were quite tight with the pads under them)

in the bike park i didnt even notice that i was wearing them, they stayed up and didnt move, again if they did move a little this was more down to my shorts pushing them down when peddaling sat down,

when the pads are new, they will rub like mad till you strech them in a little then they will be fine,
i am more than impressed with them,

#12 ·
my brother has the tld pads and rates them highly,,,,
i have the rockardn neo pads, they are good pads i rate them,,,,
as most of the reviews say about them, they are very comfortable to wear, well padded, and take impacts well, ( i tested this out in whistler a few weeks ago, had a hard impact on my right knee on the rocky rooty section on the end of lower danimal) the stayed on didnt move,,,,,
my only 2 complaints would be, for peddaling they can rub the back of the knee and chaff quite bad, and they can get very hot, i noticed in whistler when i was out peddaling xc, that my knees would sweat so bad the pads would start to slide down, but the sliding was more down to my shorts pushing them down, (i was wearing 3 quarter lengh endura event water proofs that were quite tight with the pads under them)

in the bike park i didnt even notice that i was wearing them, they stayed up and didnt move, again if they did move a little this was more down to my shorts pushing them down when peddaling sat down,

when the pads are new, they will rub like mad till you strech them in a little then they will be fine,
i am more than impressed with them,
You realise you are recommending a pad with obvious issues, when there are reasonably priced pads on the market with none of these problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.