Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ultra Protective Gloves

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  miqu 
#1 ·
I mildly sprained my hand in a dismount the other day.

I was thinking about gloves and how poorly protected hands are. For DHers, a study showed that fingers and wrists were #2 and #3 for the most common type of fractures.

I came across a review on pinkbike of one of the better DH gloves out there. While the reviewer discussed his dislocated fingers, he mentioned the lack of some innovations present in MotoX gloves.

Here is one hell of a glove: Alpinestar GP Pro Leather Gloves

Plastic armor on the whole wrist (appears to be a brace to prevent hyperextension in addition to impact protection)
Pinky and ring finger connected for reinforcement against dislocation
Ultra reinforced plastic on the knuckles, fingers and the 1st + 5th metacarpals.

GP Pro Leather Gloves | Alpinestars

https://www.motorhelmets.com/library/2010/08/alpinestars-gp-pro-mens-leather-gloves-review-video-4/

There is a downside: The price is Eleventy Billion Dollars.

But $160 is cheaper than a lot of our deductibles or one day of missed work...

Thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
I see your point.
The best DH purposed glove I've found is the POC Index DH.

I see the minimalist trend. I'm not into most trends. I suck so I'm mostly about minimizing the consequences of my suckage so I can keep riding and making money to support that habit.

#5 ·
I have the Dianese version of these gloves I use on my road bike. They certainly do offer a high level of protection, but if you used them for MTB some serious problems.

Poor feel on the bars.
Way to hot, no airflow.
very restricted at the wrist.
The cut of them means that finger extension for braking would be poor - Moto's use all fingers for braking typically.

#6 ·
My vote for Fox Bomber and Troy Lee Apex Pro (short model) gloves with some additional wrist support from 661 or Troy Lee. EVS Wrister gloves have good build in wrist support but knuckle protection is weaker than gloves I mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.