Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Boxxer air pressure on a demo 8

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aedubber 
#1 ·
Im in northstar for the weekend breaking in my (new to me) 2011 demo 8. I'm 180 lbs
and the sticker on the fork recommends that I run 85 psi. This feels way to hard for me, the rubber ring on the sanction never moved abOve 2/3 travel all day. Is this normal for a DH fork (this is my first DH bike)? Are there other settings on the fork I should be playing w/ before air pressure?

Thanks

sent from my iPhone

#5 ·
The faster you go the better, its hard to understand and do but once you do then youll see what riding is all about haha ... I have learned to just try and enjoy the view while your in the air or you can try to style out a little.

Stay relaxed as much as possible and just commit . If you dont feel 100% then dont do it, you always have next time. Take a look at what your about to jump or go down , walk down the trail, find a line , and then hit it once your 100% committed . Learn and move at your own pace and just have fun .

For dusty lose conditions try running lower psi in your tires , just dont bang them up in the rock gardens.

#2 ·
Sometimes you have to play with the air pressure , the recommended settings arent 100% all the time.. Drop your pressure down to 80psi and go redo your run again .. What type of trails are you riding anyways ? I never go thru all my travel if i am on smooth flowy trails but when im in rock gardens and steep techy stuff i make sure i use up all my travel . Your rubber ring should be pretty much to the top without bottoming out hard , and youll know what i mean by hard .

Get the sag setup properly first , take a run and then tweak it out little by little here and there .. Compression you can touch later on.

Also what fork are you running by the way ?

#3 ·
start with this:

try 80 psi.

set the LSC to ~4-6 clicks in from softest
set the HSC to ~2-4 clicks in from softest

set the LSR 10 clicks back from fastest
set the HSR 12 clicks back from fastest

if it feels stiff: lower the air pressure
if it feels soft: increase the air pressure

after you get it feeling good, keep riding it and make adjustments from there.

too much fork dive when braking or in turns? increase LSC
steering feels skittish and nervous? speed up the rebound
bottoming out too easy? increase HSC or increase bottom out
small bumps at high speed feel rough? decrease HSC

#4 ·
aeduber, thanks for the tips. It's a mix of both flowy and rocky trails with extremely lose, sandy turns in between.

ustenmuf, thanks for the settings. They were a great starting spot. I've watched some of your videos and would love to be able to ride just half as well as you, but I'm still trying to get small jumps down. I have a tendency to be stiff in the air and to brake check before lips. Any tips? I'm hoping to get back to N* soon to practice a bit more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.