Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

totem question (x-post from suspension forum)

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  craigstr 
#1 · (Edited)
i just got a (barely used) 2011. Totem rc2 dh coil for my Blindside. im a little confused... most of the reviews Ive read before I bought it said that the totem is quite a linear fork, and many middleweight riders who at first had the med spring then got a firm, because the recommended spring was still soft. I weigh 215-220 geared up. On its first ride, i put in the firm spring with 2 preload spacers and it felt really firm ( even tho rockshox recommends extra firm for my weight).
Next ride, 1 preload spacer, felt a little better but still too harsh; and then today with 0 preload spacers (and both compr adjustments full open)it felt almost right, but still kinda firm on smaller stuff but felt good on some big chunk. Sag seems right, about 30% when I kinda lean over the front. I cant believe i should go down to the med spring at my weight; has anyone else here at my weiight gone down to the med spring on recent totems? Im guessing the "too-soft" reviews were for earlier ones which were different? (BTW yes the right amount of oil is in there). Is the newer totem just a firm-feeling fork except on big chunk/drops, and ill just have to get used to it?
For refernce my old fork was a domain 180 with a firm spring, which felt pretty good. One thing i didnt liek about it was the hi-speed compression was internally preset, IMO too hard; it was very harsh when I hit a fast or square-edged thing. i know some have removed the main shim in the speedstack to open up that circuit; i opted for lowering the oil weight (I made a custom 4.5 w by sucking out a fifth of the oil and replacing that with 2.5w) and that did the trick.. Im thinking about doing that same thing with the totem to soften it up just a tad, and i can still crank up the hi-sp compr for the bigger hits. Has anyone else experimented with differnt oil weights in their totems? any info/feedback would be appreciated. thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
How much do you weigh? There is a lot of confusion with spring rates and colors. I believe yellow is standard, red is firm, blue is extra firm? I'm 190 w/ gear and run red for most stuff but sometimes will go with the yellow spring if I want more plushness. I also will use 10 or 15 w oil in the compression side with the lighter spring to firm it up on bigger hits.

#4 ·
I have a 2010 and when I bought extra springs they were just changing them and some distributors had the old colors and some new. I have two yellows that are visibly different in diameter and feel totally different. I have a blue spring that I can hardly compress at all. At 220, I would imagine you are a firm. I just had a mod done on mine by Garageworks Suspension where they stick elastomers in the bottom of the spring to firm up the end of the stroke. Post 15
http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/improving-mid-stoke-totem-714849.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.