Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding Mammoth Ca

2K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  kazlx 
#1 ·
Some friends and I spent last weekend at the Mammoth bike park. Shot some helmet cam and tossed a quick vid together. Might be worth watching if you are bored with nothing else to do.
Looks better in HD.

#10 ·
Summit elevation is 11,053.
Main lodge at Gondola is just a hair below 9,000
Villiage shuttle pickup is at 8,000'

Times on top-to-bottom runs will vary on route and riding ability. If you rode from Off The Top to Beach Cruiser to Downtown, that would be a hell of a long run. It would probably take 45 minutes for an average rider.
For a more DH oriented run, you can ride Skidmarks to Bullet and this usually takes me about 15-20 minutes if I don't stop. I'm an average level DH rider though.

#16 ·
I rode mammoth last year and am going back in August. Didn't ride any dh last time and am planning to rent a dh bike this year. Coming from Texas I don't ride dh ever, mostly light trail riding in Austin and more Xc in Houston. Which dh trails are dh beginner friendly and would have some type of ride around for my wife who rides Xc only so she won't be jumping anything. Fwiw, the ride from off the top down to beach cruiser and continuing down downtown into the village is a pretty fun ride that takes a bit to complete! Also seeing as how I have shoulder surgery scheduled for after our trip I would prefer no huge drops, just some nice tables and good flow.... Thoughts on good dh trails for this?

#18 ·
Mammoth is great, the park is maintained so well, its like
the equivalent of staying at the Four Seasons or Caesars Palace'
Octavius Towers, but you're on a trail.

Last year I brought one of my Stinkys with a 2.3 Kenda Small Block 8 front
and rear Maxxis Holy Roller 2.4, was worried that they weren't knobby enough
but because of the well-maintained trails, it was no problem.

The lift tickets aren't cheap (like staying at Caesar's) but well worth it.
Great video. I didn't think anyone knew "Fly Robin, Fly" (1976) by
Silver Convention but old farts like me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.