Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need a new rim , some good suggestions?

838 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Iceman2058 
#1 ·
Hey guys, so basically my rear rim is dented up pretty badly right now. I have a few more runs left on it but i would like to fix it. I run the MTX 33 rims that came on my 2012 Kona Operator . Its my fault since i let out some air pressure for the dusty loose conditions and decided to hit some rocky trechy sections and rock gardens lol .

Im around 200lbs geared up and im not the smoothiest rider also , i just started riding this year . I really like the thickness of the MTX 33 rim but i was wondering if you guys would recommend another rim ? Maybe something a little lighter just as strong? Might be a good reason to maybe build a rear wheel for now and then finish up the front later this year.. What you guys think ?

#6 ·
as a 200lb beginner you need something stout. don't focus too much on the weight. of course you don't want a boat anchor but a light rim will cause nothing but unwanted downtime and expense. you've got a lot of hard hits in your future. Have you checked some of the pre-build sets like the Azonic Outlaws? Can be had for a good price. I found myself in your situation many years ago. Bought a pair to ride out the season, "upgraded" over the winter and still have the Outlaws as a spare set. Can't tell you how many times I've lent them out. Something to consider.

#7 ·
Have you checked some of the pre-build sets like the Azonic Outlaws? Can be had for a good price. I found myself in your situation many years ago. Bought a pair to ride out the season, "upgraded" over the winter and still have the Outlaws as a spare set. Can't tell you how many times I've lent them out. Something to consider.
That's a good point. The Outlaws are hard to beat at that price point. I have a good friend who just put them on his 303 RDH and he's no beginner either.

Reactions: RTM
#3 ·
The previously mentioned rims are great choices but I would also throw DT Swiss FR 600 and FR 630's on the list. I ride the FR 600's and they are very durable as well. The FR 630's are cheaper than the 600's and weigh about 30 grams more per rim so may be better suited for a larger rider (I'm 160 lbs).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.