Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Airless tires

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  motochick 
#1 ·
When are airless tires coming to downhill? It seems at this point and time loosing a world cup due to a flat tire seems ridiculous. I hope this link works:

Tweel Airless Tires | Geekologie

I'm sure most of you have seen these, I think it could be the future

#5 ·
it's a horrible idea, and it isn't new in either bikes or automobiles.

the pneumatic tire is really one of humanity's great inventions, adjustable for pressure, etc and easy to take on and off a rim, no proprietary parts...we really have the best of all worlds. the only downside is flats of course, but (knock on wood) i haven't flatted a DH tire in a few years...and tubeless on all my other bikes. give me a more reliable tubeless DH system that doesn't burp under bad landings (i'm too old to figure out good landings and i haven't tried a true UST DH setup yet ;) )

#7 ·
I've been using these on my motos for over 6 years with great success. I never know if I have a flat one until I do my yearly maintenance, and they allow me to run my rear tire at 5lbs, amazing traction! There would be a weight penalty but not as big as with the bibs. I am not sure if they ever got the MTB ones off the ground....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.