Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CC Angle Set noisey already

3K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  recitio 
#1 ·
I'm using the 1.5 spacer in my 08' Giant Glory FR. Clunking after about 14 rides. Do these really need that much maintenance? I read all about them before I bought one so I'm not surprised and I am not saying I don't like it. Besides the noise it's doing it job nicely with the addition HT angle. Everything still feels tight but it can be heard just lift and dropping the front of the bike down. Any new recommendations for it?

#9 ·
I have a decent amount of experience with the AngleSet.....In all of my instances, you have to run the headset with quite a bit more than normal pre-load....I always told myself that this is like running a steering damper on my Moto.

I got rid of creaks and pops by doing this, You notice it in the bike stand, not so much on the trail....I am thinking of going back to one, I know what I am getting into.

Also, because of the extra pre-load or the size of the bearings, I go thru about 4 a season....Little, cheap to replace sealed bearings though...

#11 · (Edited)
the trick is to use antiseize, not grease. the tiny little particles in the antiseize seem to fill in anything out of tolerance. and yes, more preload than normal. Also, retighten afetr a few rides after everything settles in. Mine have always been fine. Have a half-degree one in my sc Butcher, with a 160 fork the HA is 66.2!

#2 ·
That's been a common complaint with CC's angle set; I had the same complaint after about a half dozen rides on a previous carbon Remedy. Wouldn't stop popping during normal hits in the front and really bad in the chunkiest sections. Reset it twice with more and more grease, but couldn't quiet it down. Sent it back to CC for a refund.

My '12 Session 88 came with one, but doesn't have an offset to it. Using it as a regular headset I haven't heard a sound.

MTBP

#31 ·
I noticed a clacking sound right away with my just installed one. literally on the first day out. I listened to my friends advice, on getting the King, but the new frame came with the CC. Ace Hardware, here I come. I've got some plumbing to do anyway. Ready AzDog?:eek:

#7 ·
Sucks to say, but its not that it needs maintenance, thats just how they are. Mine absolutley drove me crazy, so I got a King and sold my AngleSet.

AngleSet supporters will be quick to point out that not everyone experiences the noise issue (or that you are obviously inept at the installation), and others would say that even if you do, the benefits of geo change are worth the noise. Not to me.

As far as I know CC still hasnt really addressed or even admitted the issue, so I dont think there is a permanent fix in the way of redesigned parts yet.

You just need to decide what you can deal with and make the decision on what to do with your headset from there.

#8 ·
Grease it up and tighten it down. I finally took it to a shop.

Unfortunately for me I had to take it apart again to swap forks so now the noise is back, yay! I'll be buying a tub of grease soon and going to town.

Love the geo change, but it's hard to tell yourself to just annoy the large clunk on every hit.

#12 ·
So I did the whole grease everything up and tighten more than usual and actually stripped the star nut...

I think part of the problem is it's so hot out here the metal was too hot and easily mangled.

I took everything apart and cleaned it all up perfectly so now I just need to get a new star nut put in and try it again, this time probably inside haha.

#15 ·
TiPrep on the outsides of the gimbals. I've installed 3 anglesets with this stuff and they've all been great.

So I did the whole grease everything up and tighten more than usual and actually stripped the star nut...
If you did this, you did not have enough spacers. I know this because I've done that too.

#16 ·
Great, thanks everyone for the tips! Mine doesn't pop often but does on a larger hit. I'll have to try out some of the suggestions.

#17 ·
Bike shopt installed mine last September. Did a lot of riding and a 12 hour dh race, never heard a peep.

This spring, I stripped the bike down and removed all the paint. I was nervous about the angle set, but the LBS told me to slather it with Marine Grease. I did. I put gobs and gobs in there. Also run it a bit tight, but not so much that I can't ride no handed.

Still no issues (fingers crossed)

#19 ·
So no doubt my headset was loose. Tried tightening the bolt (which was fairly loose) and the star/nut holder inside the steer tube all but came right out. Did the bike shop that installed my Angle Set and Boxxer R2C2 fork miss something like maybe tack welding that piece in the steer tube in place? It shouldn't have come out like that.

#26 ·
Just got it back for the LBS. New star nut and a freshly greased Angle Set and no more noise.....for now LOL. I'm ready to hit Killington this weekend.

#27 ·
I ended up using a head lock, but it seems like I can't tighten it down enough to stop the noise before the lower part starts spinning instead of threading. May have to go back to a starnut and hope it holds up. Gonna give the install one more try following CC's exact instructions from their 2nd install vid.

#29 ·
I had a great day riding Killington VT last Sat. All seems to be well with the CC Angle Set. I did notice that LBS installed a small spacer under the upper crown so It seems to keep things tighter than just the upper crown applying pressure to the Angle Set itself.

#32 ·
Making the Angleset work properly is not everyone's problem, getting it to work with out making popping noise is.:madman:

Installed mine 3 times with a professional after watching their video and re-reading installation guide and it would not stop making noise.

Great idea, just a flawed product unless you can put up with the noise.:nono:

#33 ·
I'm pretty sure I'm getting a star nut put back in today. The headlock doesn't seem to be able to be tightened down enough, and I can see where the top cap is starting to separate and the hex key hole is warping (not stripping, the metal seems to be rising up in between the corners). It might just be broken but since I got this thing to work with a star nut I might as well stick with that.

I borrowed a stand and did everything to a T and it still makes the noise. The limiting factor certainly seems to be that I can't tighten it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.