Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

School me on Roanoke

857 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  CraigCreekRider 
#1 ·
I currently live in Cville, but there's a slight chance I'll be looking at relocating.

No question the outdoor opportunities are quality and copious. What about life, schools, culture, food, activities, etc? Cville has a lot to offer in those realms, but it definitely comes at a price. Looks like cost of living is a bit more reasonable in Roanoke, particularly when it comes to housing.

Should I be considering Salem as well/instead?

#2 ·
I'd look at Roanoke and Salem. Salem is closer to Carvins Cove and Ft Lewis. Roanoke has Mill Mountain (great post work ride).

Downtown bar / music / restaurant scene in Roanoke has grown tremendously in the last 10 years. Grandin Village is a very cool little town in a city, my personal favorite part of town.

Roanoke will be more blue collar than Charlottesville, no major university and its still a railroad town at heart.

#3 ·
Thanks, CCR. Done a bunch of reading since I posted, and I certainly like what I'm reading. I've been a few times to ride and stopped in town when I was done. I've always enjoyed it, but I've only seen downtown and a couple neighborhoods. Doubtful this will pan out, but I'm feeling motivated to find something down there.

#4 ·
Salem is great--great schools, great place to raise a family etc. The access to mtn biking is FANTASTIC! I regularly do 20-50 mile rides (blend of fireroad and singletrack) from my front door, with ~1 mile of road in between. Ft. Lewis is great, as it is completely secluded, and "protected" by some pretty grueling climbs. Access to the Cove couldn't be easier (either by bike or car) and on the way you will pass an absolutely awesome bike shop, Just the Right Gear. Steve and the crew will take good care of you. Hope this helps! If you;re ever looking for a "tour", just shoot me a PM.

#5 ·
Thanks, shorner.

If I were looking for walkability over proximity to biking, which (Salem/Roanoke) should I be focusing on? How feasible is that in the area? Are there places where you can walk to restaurants, and/or grocery stores, and/or parks, etc. I don't mind a little drive to ride my bike. Any driving to Carvins will beat the two hours it takes me now. :D

#7 ·
Thanks, shorner.

If I were looking for walkability over proximity to biking, which (Salem/Roanoke) should I be focusing on? How feasible is that in the area? Are there places where you can walk to restaurants, and/or grocery stores, and/or parks, etc. I don't mind a little drive to ride my bike. Any driving to Carvins will beat the two hours it takes me now. :D
In Roanoke a couple of neighborhoods come to mind for walkability:

Downtown - mostly condo or apartments, bike storage could be a problem

Old Southwest - mostly large older homes, many are subdivided into apartments. Walking distance to downtown, close to the greenway

South Roanoke - close to the greenway and Mill Mountain, pricey but nice

Grandin Village -Raleigh Court, Wasena. Close to the greenway. A town within a town, movie theatre, grocery store and 10 or so bars and restaurents -all within walking distance. Grandin has everything you need except a liquor store and a funeral home
:D:D

#6 ·
THere are spots in both Salem and Roanoke that are "walkable", with access to restaurants/bars/etc. Apartments in downtown Roanoke are making a significant comeback if you;re into the "urban" thing (such as it is in Roanoke VA!! ;) ). We live about 0.5 miles outside of "downtown" Salem, and regularly ride our bikes/walk to the downtown restaurants/bars--the same certainly exists for Roanoke. As CCR mentioned (i think) Grandin village is also pretty cool, and definitely walkable. Depends on what you;re looking for with regard to housing. There are many more restaurants in downtown Roanoke, but there are certainly some real gems in Salem (Blue Apron!!!). Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.