Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My first trip to Bootleg Canyon

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  bitewerks 
#1 ·
Let me preface this by saying I ride the hardtail about 90% of the time. The other 10% is a 08 Kona CoilerThat said, BC was probably a bit over my paygrade. One thing I noticed is that most of the riders had very short stems, and wider handlebars. What's the advantage of wider bars and a shorter stem?

#7 ·
Hhmmm, not sure. I met somebody at the Bootleg sign from LA who had never been. Was that you? I was the guy from Phoenix. I don't recall asking about about wider bars while up there. But just an observation I made from those who seems to have gear more suited for some of the gnarlier trails. I'm more an XC guy, so some of those trails were a bit over my pay grade.

#6 ·
Short stem also makes it easier to get weight back for steep DH gnar. People are also running their handlebars lower than they used to. I just upgraded to a new direct mount stem on my new fork that lowered my front end quite a bit. Felt weird first few runs but then felt more stable in the rough and for railing turns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.