Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thank You Inventor of the "real 29er" rims

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  thomllama 
#1 ·
There is so many reasons to be thankful for the 29er (old 700c) wheel. I just converted one of my 96ers to become a mtn.roadie. The 700c rims found on comfort and road bikes will not take abuse long for trail riding. That said, I put a 700c x 40 tire on the front of my 29er rim.

The guy at the bike shop where I bought the Kenda Komfort told me that tire is a popular cross bike tire and will do good off road. Just make sure your 1.95-2.2 tube doesnt pop out of the rim.:D

Anyways the rear has a 1.75 x 26 kenda cross plus tire and the front 700 x 40. I can honestly tell you know that this bike rolls very fast. I installed a 46t big chain (they do make a 48t but I found out too late) It takes off like a rocket on pavement and since it has a 100mm travel fork and 5" travel rear, its comfortable as well. The bike now weighs in at 28lbs and thats not bad for a relatively cheap f/s bike.:)

What I really like about the 29er wheel is the ability to fit a 2.4 DH type of tire on them to a paltry anorexic 700 x 38c tire and still be faster than a 26er or 27.5 (old 650b)
Yipppee. I don't know why 27.5 is gaining popularity but whatever.:skep:

I saw this old tall fellow riding a GT hardtail on the street today and he looked like a circus bear riding a bicycle. With the exception of DH bikes, discount store bikes, the 26er mountain wheel, like the Oscar Show is old hat and has had its time in the limelight.
I believe the 26er mtn wheel IMO is done.

See less See more
#7 ·
I am 245 lbs

and have not been on 26" wheels since 2005. I have had far fewer (like none) broken spokes than with 26" wheels which was a problem and thanks to Stans no flats either. No expensive wheels, a few sets of Bonty Mustangs and Salsa Delgado's all with XTR hubs.
Nothing against the 26" wheel but being a bigger guy is not a problem for 29" wheels at all.

#5 ·
Hahah it looked funny, this old tall guy maybe about 6'7" or so riding this bike (probably an XL)
yet the wheels looked so dang small, hahahah, I couldn't stop laughing. hahah I almost yelled out "where's the circus?"

#8 · (Edited)
There is so many reasons to be thankful for the 29er (old 700c) wheel. I just converted one of my 96ers to become a mtn.roadie. The 700c rims found on comfort and road bikes will not take abuse long for trail riding. That said, I put a 700c x 40 tire on the front of my 29er rim.
Back in the day (1998-2001 era) we were using 36 hole Mavic T-520 rims and they were really bullet proof. The T-520 was their loaded touring rim, I don't remember ever touching these wheels - they were super strong. The weight weenies were using Open Pro's and those were very questionable but worked for racing early on.

This was the first 29"er Independent Fabrication ever built as well. Note the rigid fork and how we had to get a tube spacer segment welded in because Reynolds fork legs were not long enough.

We've come a LONG way though. I just weighed a rear American Classic RACE wheel, the weight reads 773 grams. Impressive for a 28mm external/24mm internal width rim.

Brett

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.